News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Finish of Stromberg & Carter Carbs in 40s

Started by Bill Ingler CLC 7799, August 17, 2005, 10:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Can someone tell me the correct finish color on the Stromberg carb as they left the factory new on the 41 Cadillacs.I have a NOS 46-48 205-14 B Stromberg which has the yellow zinc chromate color on the airhorn and body with the base in black. I have a NOS Carter for the same years with the same finish. I have never seen a NOS Stromberg for a 41. The only color I have seen on the 41 Stromberg carb was the natural zinc grey finish with the black base and they have been on rebuilt carbs.So did Stromberg use the yellow chromate color on the carbs in 41 or was it the natural zinc grey color? Thanks

John Washburn

Bill,

When you rebuild these old carburetors and put them in Carburetor Cleaner the first thing to go is the finish. That is why all the old carbs have the silver finish not the correct Gold color. Matter of fact I would bet Walt Brewers life that Im correct on this.

So the replacement NOS Stromberg has the correct finish. Of course the correct Stromberg for the 1941 Cadillac is 205-8 for the early ones and 205-9 for the later (but who would know). The Carter, of course, is a WD0 506S.

The 205-14 and 14B came out later and are replacements for all the Flathead Cadillacs, but it is not original, so if you use it you have to join the modified chapter.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Colorado

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi John-Thanks for the reply. I knew the 46-48 Strombergs and Carters carried the yellow cromate color but I wasn`t sure about the 41 Stromberg.Now I know about the 41. I refer to your great carb indentification article quite often. Very well done.I was once told the Stomberg 205-9 was only on the 41 hydra-matic,the 205-8 on the standard shift. Any truth to that?

John Washburn

Bill,

Anything is possible, but the old books dont substantiate this premise...

Eastwood makes the paint for these carbs, which works quite well if you prep the carb first.

Come see us.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Elizabeth, Colorado

Doug Houston

Heres what I know, and it may not be much help, but here it is. All of the Stromberg carbs that Ive ever seen in 41 engines from 1956, when I first had one, have the bare unfinished die cast finishes. The linkages and levers have been plain Cadmium plasting without dichromate dip (gold-ish finish). Since I started fooling around with those cars when they were already 15 years old, its impossible to say whether or not a different number was use on H-M models than on manual trans. models. The 1951 parts book here says:

Two types of Stromberg Carburetors were used on the 1941 cars. 1441513 (model 380015, AAV-=16) before Engine Unit No. 8-F-8933 on 41-60S,61,62 and 63 and 3-f-501 on 41-67 and 75 cars.

1442538 (model380048, AAV-26) after engine Unit No. 8-F-8932 on 41-60S, 61,62,63 and 3-F-500 on 41-67 and 75.

Doug. Houston

Got cut off above. For service replacement, only the late type will be supplied.

One big difference between the 41 carburetors and later is that 41 was the last year with the lever fot the hand throttle control.

Ive never dseen a Stromberg AAV-16, and I wonder if it could be a typo in the parts book. The engine on my 38-60S had a model AAV-25 on it. I put a 41 carburetor on it so I could have the vacuum control on the distributor. Yhat does suggest a typo.