News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

74 DElegance Question

Started by Dave #17592, August 19, 2005, 12:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave #17592

A buddy of mine just sold his 74 Sedan Deville DElegance.   What surprised me about his car was that it had a unique dash gauge panel.    you know that strip of idiot lights that runs across the top of the dash?   Well all of those square openings were trimmed in chrome edging.    This car had 14,000 miles on it and came from the Estate of a little old lady, so Im sure it was original.    

Ive never seen another 74, 75 or 76 Cadillac with this chrome trim.  Not even 1974 Talismans!      Now I wish I had taken a look at the build date to see if it was an early production car.

Has anyone else seen a 74 with those idiot light squares outlined in Chrome?

David

wm link

It would seem that there was a mid-year change on that design. The 1974 brochure does show the chrome framed idiot lights. I own 74 cadillacs produced with both designs. On the talisman the brochure shows a laurel design framing the upper door panels...Ive never seen that on an actual car. Could have been supply issues???  

Dave Smith #17592

Hi Bill!

I should have known that you would have the answer!  
When my buddy bought his 74 DElegance, I had just bought my 74 Calais.    We were comparing the trim levels.   He noticed that the Calais didnt even have the chrome trim on the gas and brake pedals.  They were just plain molded black.   That plus he had all that extra plush deep pile carpeting on the doors, the seatback map pockets, rear roof assist straps, the wood on the doors and courtesy lamps.    The Calais was trimmed out like a Bel Air Chevy in comparison!    My Calais didnt even have the lamp monitors.   My car had only 4 options.  Vinyl top, base radio, Air Conditioning and whitewall tires.    No Tilt, no cruise, no power locks.     It was quite the contrast to my buddies 74 DeVille DElegance with its wild striped crushed velour interior!