News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 electric door locks

Started by rex crews #18304, August 20, 2005, 10:28:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex crews #18304

Hello, Friends,

I am removing an electric door lock system from a 1958 Cadillac sedan, and I am having trouble determining if I have all the components of the system.  Amazingly, there is no wiring diagram that I can find in the 58 shop manual.  I am thinking there are the four solenoids in the doors, the two switches on each front door and one or two relays under the dash.  I do not know where under the dash to look for these relays or if there are one or two.  Can anyone shed light on this?  I would love to hear from someone at:  rexcrews@bellsouth.net

Thanks,

Rex

wm link

Electric Door locks were a late introduction in 58, pretty rare to find. The 59 shop manual should have a diagram for you. I had a 58 series 62 convertible that was LOADED with options to include electric door locks. The chrome lock knob should have a lightning bolt on top of it. Not sure why GM went to vacuum after electric?????

rex crews #18304

Thanks for the suggestion.  Its funny that the lock solenoids on the 59s are nothing like those on the 58s, but I am hoping the rest of the wiring and location of the units is the same as the 59 manual suggests.  Wish I had seen your 58 convertible.  Theres nothing like a Cadillac with lots of options!

Rex

Barry Wheeler #2189

Why dont you give Pete Peters a call. He options all of his Eldos with every known accessory and he has a 1958. He is in the Directory under Fredus Peters in Ft. Wayne.