News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1939-60 Special Door post

Started by Chuck--#21953, August 20, 2005, 05:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck--#21953

The drivers side rear door post on my 60 Special is flexing badly.  There seems to be a joint at the belt line that has given way.  Before I start tearing out upholstery and weatherstripping , can anybody tell me what the construction particulars of this joint connection are?

Thanks for your help!

Doug Houston

Those cars have wood main body sills. I take this to mean the rear door hinge post (the B pillar). There is a combination of metal bracketry fastening the B pillar  and fasteners to the wood. Removing the sill plates will reveal the anchoring of the pillar, and may show where your looseness is. My guess is rot in the wood. Repairing it will involve some ingenuity if thats what your problem is.

Now, if the problem is the dogleg of the rear quarter, it would be a problem with metal structure in the rear of the body.

Chuck

Doug
Thanks for the help.  is the shown in a body manual somewhere?

Doug Houston

Oddly enough, the 60Special isnt covered in the Fisher body manual. In the 38 shop manual, they cover the door internal hardware, but as long as Ive had 60Specials (50 years or so), Ive never seen anything on body construction.