News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 Cadillac Coupe - 6 Volt to 12 Volt Conversion

Started by Tom Douglas, August 20, 2005, 10:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Douglas

Im thinking of converting wiring from the 6 Volt system to 12. Where is a good place to get a wiring harness to do it? Besides some of the obvious things to change: lights, radio, heater - what else do I need to change? - voltage regulator, starter, generator ???  Any other imput would be appreciated.

Paul W Allen CLC # 20193

There has been much discussion in the past on this subject.I think you will find that the general concensus will be to leave it six volts. Your 41 was designed for six volts and will be fine with it IF the wiring is in good condition AND the right size. Proper grounding is another big factor. Im sure other responses will follow with more information. Good luck with it.

Paul
53 Coupe
Twin Turbine

Doug Houston

Every so often, someone gets this same inspiration. I aleays ask: why. I have never heard a logical answer, and Im sure I never will. There isnt one. The cars start and run beautifully on the original 6 volt system. If your object is to have an air conditioner, CB radio, tape or CD player, why not just get a modern car, and leave the 41 unmolested.

JIM CLC # 15000

08-28-05
Tom, the short answer is;dont do it. The long answer is it will start and charge just fine IF the system is/has all the grounds clean and tight. The wires for 12Vs system is considerly smaller, so, if you decide to go against all of the advise given on this board,the wireing harness for 6Vs would still work and work better then a harness set-up for 12Vs.
For a good working starter (6Vs) make sure that the surface that bolts to the bell housing is clean and tight. Will not hurt to replace the battery cables, they can look good and still have corrosion inside. While you are at it, have the battery checked for proper cranking voltage.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim