News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

gasket for 1962 oil filter mount to block?

Started by GREG WOJCIKOWSKI, August 20, 2005, 10:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GREG WOJCIKOWSKI

I took off this mount from the block and want to put back on.  (this is the bracket that the oil filter screws on to).  When i took it off there was a gasket about as thick as construction paper - maybe 1/16.  Im sure I could make another gasket but am unsure of the orifices to cut out. The one I took off had 4 orifices and the block has 5 holes.  i dont know if the previous owner had a different year bracket put on this engine or if the old gasket was proper one.  3 of the holes are for the mounting bolts.  I assume the 2 remaining orifices are one for oil to flow into the filter and the second for it to flow out.  If there was only 4 holes in the gasket it suggests one of two things:  either the oil is meant to flow through the gasket as if its a membrane or, the gasket that was there did not allow flow through the filter because the gasket covered one orifice ( the engine has always ran very hot).  Any thoughts - can anyone send me a photo of this bracket and or its gasket.  Ordering the original gasket has been futile because I dont know what to call it.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Greg,

It is easy for you to cut a new gasket, and simple gasket paper will do the trick.

All you need to do is place the paper over the Filter Adaptor, run your finger arouns all the holes that are there, and the outside.   This will leave an imprint on the paper and all you have to do is cut the holes out.

You will end up with the mounting holes, and two holes in the guts for the oil to flow to the filter, then return to the engine.   By looking at the adaptor, it is easy to work out which way the oil flows.   Looking at the filter, the outside of the filter is where it receives its oil, and the centre hole is where the filtered oil flows back into the motor.

When installing the adaptor, dont use any Silastic but a proper gasket cement.   The trouble with Silastic is that any overflow into the return oil hole can end up inside any of the oil galleries and sent to parts of the motors internals.

Also, dont forget to prime the filter before screwing it back on.   Saves bearings.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV