News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Whitewalling Tyres

Started by Bruce Reynolds # 18992, August 22, 2005, 06:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday,

A friend of mine has a tyre sidewall grooving machine that was built in USA and has run into a problem.

He has run out of the special paint that is used to paint the groove to simulate a whitewall and now cannot find a replacement paint.

Does anyone know of such a paint?

It consists of an undercoat/primer, and a finishing coat that are both applied with a roller.

He has tried other paints that are supposedly good, but they dont last.   The ones he originally did with the kit, last for a long time, so he is looking for a supplier that can re-supply him.

It is easy with a white-letter tyre as the white rubber is built in to the tyre, but he has some blackwalls to do.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dave #17592

Gday Bruce!

WOW!   I havent seen a machine like that in 20 years!       I used to have a man come by my used car lot and regroove any odd tires on cars to make a matched set.   He also had a red paint that he would use to make "red line" tyres on my sportier cars.    He had a gold paint too for that extra gold strip on the Caddys.

But the best thing was when I had my 67 Cadillac, I had him add the extra narrow grove to make a dual strip tire to look like the originals!  

The process was perfect.  As you mentioned all whitewall tyres have a much wider stripe under the rubber, you just expose the width you want.   The problem was when he used to groove out a blackwall and paint on the whitewall.   It looked great until you put a tire gloss finish on them, then the whitewalls turned yellow over night.

I wish I could help you find more supplies, but as I said, I havent seen that guy in 20 years.  He must be long retired by now.

David

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Dave,

Glad you remember the machine.

My mate has has hi   He has never had a tyre failure with all the hundreds of tyres that he has done.   Now, he cant use it until he gets hold of the correct paint.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Johan Boltendal # 158

JIM CLC # 15000

08-22-05
Bruce, I dont have a solution, but, I admire the problem!
I have been thinking that if a person could "thin" white "RTV"* to the consistency of paint, that it could be used to make a black tire-white. Have no idea what could be used to thin the RTV, but, IM sure that some-one that reads this board will have and share the answer. Also, dont know how long it will stay "white".
J C Whitney used to sale a white-wall paint kit. They may still do. I think they have a web-site.
Bruce, God save me from a men who can only spell a word "one" way!
Good Luck, Jim

* Also refered to as "silcon-rubber".

Ivan Zanatta

There is a very thin grade of silicon available made by Dow Corning , I have used it, but it was clear. It flows like honey, maybe a colour could be added to it. I cant recall the name/number of the stuff, but it is sold as "FLOWABLE" OR "self levelling "silicon.

Lynn 10923

Well, share the wealth please.  I have one of these machines also, and have never been able to find the right paint.

Lynn

Lynn 10923

Thanks.  I was given some of the paint in a can when I bought the machine, but it looked so old and separated that I never even tried it.  I need to develop a steadier hand anyway, even just for cutting grooves.  Maybe a wider cutting wheel would help keep scoring out of the area Im cutting.  I see one there.

Lynn

Porter 21919

Johan,

That was the only company I could find that had the CAX type wheel weights for my 66 CDV, that most people here claim you cant get them anymore.

Porter

Johan Boltendal # 158

Porter
That was exactly how I came upon these guys, I had red the wheel weight post and found the white walling stuff also listed with them , added this one to my favourites, not knowing how and when it would be usable for some body else too.
It did quite soon as you see,
I had been looking for a long time and never found the white walling paint, until that particular day.
Johan

Porter 21919

I bought 25 of each : .5 oz., 1 oz. & 1.5 oz. CAX wheelweights, only used maybe 10percent of them, I have a lifetime supply now.

Porter

Rhino 21150

From personal experience with "RTV" from Dow, GE, Red Devil and Sonneborn, the stuff will discolor in about three months. Same for most types of one part urethanes, even those designed for solar exposure. The black doesnt turn gray though. RTV is short for Room Temperature Vulcanizing, which does not describe the actual chemical process, it just sounds cool enough to sell the product.
Un-requested tip of the week. When you recap any of the silicone rubbers make sure there is NO dried stuff on the nozzle or cap. The "set" product acts as a catalyst for the setting of the rest. Air is NOT needed. Once started the reaction goes until completion.