News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cooling system

Started by Denise 20352, August 22, 2005, 04:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denise 20352

Shamelessy crossposted, and Ive mentioned some of this already, but as they say in Jeopardy, I had to put it in the form of a question.

What do you do when youve already wrestled with the water pump, you try to put the last 1/4 bolt in, and the threads in the front cover are damaged? Of course, this almost never happens, right?

I got the leaky bolt back out, smothered it in RTV and put it back in. I managed to just barely catch a thread and snub it a little. I havent pressurized it yet, but so far it hasnt leaked, just sitting there with coolant in it.

Suppose it leaks, or a different one does? Are there any other options for repairing it with the pump on? The hole in the pump is too small to tap it or helicoil from the outside.

Suppose I have to pull the front cover (gawd, I hope not). Can I weld a nut onto the back side, or is there a better fix?

One more question. The reason I didnt pressure test this morning was that I couldnt get the engine warm enough to build up pressure. Seriously, after 20 minutes I could still open the cap and dip my finger in the coolant, and the block wasnt hot. I think that this may because of a fan mod that I did, but it is also possible that I have air locked in the system. There is a gurgling noise, possibly in the heads near the intake, after I shut it off. The heater works.  How would I get the air out?

thanks

-denise