News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Matching numbers

Started by Barry Ashdown, August 23, 2005, 01:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Ashdown

Hi Guys
I am a new member to the Club and live in the UK, although I have been a member of the Cadillac Owners Club of GB for some four years now. I decided to join the LaSalles Club as I have already had some feedback to a question I posted back last year, whereas my own club did not respond.  Anyway, I have imported a 1960 Sedan Deville 6 window some months ago and (in my spare time) am stripping her down for as full a restoration as I can possibly manage myself (except for the actual respraying, which will be carried out professionally).Currently the engine and gearbox are out of the vehicle and I am keen to know how I can check and what exactly I need to look for to confirm or otherwise MATCHING NUMBERS.  A plate under the hood shows 60 L 125131 as does a similar plate attached to the door pillar between the drivers and rear passengers doors. The gearbox has HYDROMATIC stamped on it and a small metal plate which shows C-60-123713 and the diff unit has 1473735 stamped on it.  Also the metal plate under the hood shows the accessories as E,H,K,Y,M  do you know what these are or where I can discover this.  And finally I am intending to repain the engine in its original colours (if poss) in the main its Blue, but how can I find out the code to try to get this colour?

Many thanks in anticipation, I dont doubt more questions will arise as the work progresses.

Barry
Membership No. 22329

Warren Rauch

Trying to match all the numbers like the Corvette owners sometimes do will be a lot harder with a Cadillac.You may be able to use some Vette publications to find the proper month and day  codes, few Cadillac club members are so diligent.
 The codes you mention are as follows: Y=6way power front seat, E=E-Z eye glass (tinted),H= heaterK=air conditioned, M=power door locks. Other accessories were likely added by the Dealer ,if you find them on the car. The transmission code C-60 is correct for all 60 Cadillacs except 75&CC, their code was CA-60. The number that follows is the production number.Since it is close to the serial number,it is likely the original transmisson. The rear axle number you found ,Id guess is the casting number. There should be a number stamped on the  carrier  W or 1 for  a 3.21 to 1 ratio this is the standard axle for an air conditioned car. The number on the door post is the serial/engine number that is why those numbers match. There is another number on the rear of the engine block behind the cylinder head it is the engine unit number and should start 06K for your car. Try Bill Hirsch for the blue paint ,he has it in quarts and spray cans.
  Since your into trivia about this car,it is one of 22579 6-window sedan devilles and total production for 1960 was 142184 for all models.

Barry Ashdown

Hi Warren
Only just picked up your reply and thank you very much, it is of great assistance to me.  You mention Bill Hirch; do you possibly have a web or e-mail address I can contact him on as living here in the UK its a little more difficult for me to discover these things.  Glad to discover that car has accessories its supposed to have, and I believe theyre all in working order, except of course the A/C which I know will need converting to R134a.  I have seen on the Cadillac web site that there is a company in the US who will trace the original dealer who supplied the vehicle (just extremely interested to try and find out where she originated and has been inthe past 45 years) probably a bit silly but nice to know these details, least I find it so.

Would also like to try and obtain an original style sales brochure for this model, so any ideas wouold be greatly appreciated.

Any way, many thanks for your assistance, and best wishes.

Barry (22329)

Warren Rauch

Bill Hirsch s web is http://www.hirschauto.com TARGET=_blank>www.hirschauto.com
                International phone is 973-642-2404
                address: 396 Littleton Ave
                         Newark, NJ 07103
 sales literature is almost always avalible on ebay. Warren

Barry Ashdown

Thanks once again Warren.

Barry