News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

removing rear side window glass - 1940 60s

Started by Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850, August 28, 2005, 06:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850

Hello experts!
  I have to admit that Im stumped.
My question is:
  If, in 1940, someone had broken the rear side window in his
 new 60s, how would the Cadillac dealer go about replacing it?
  I have my door off the car and am having new glass made. I can not see how a repairman can remove that glass without disassembling the whole door. The chrome frame comes down and makes a turn which keeps the glass from coming out the bottom,
at least directly.
   I took one out of a front door by removing the chrome frame and then turning the glass 90 degrees and taking it out the bottom, but I have a hard time believing a dealership would go to all that trouble!
   Any hints?
 Robert

Brad Ipsen CLC#737

I should write these proceedures down because it is always a puzzle and it is hard to remember the details.  I believe the divider channel between the side glass and the rear vent wing must loosened and moved or removed.  If there is any rust at all this is almost impossible to do unless you disassemble the complete unit including the chrome frame.  There is one screw behind the wood block spacer on the inside of the top of the door.  There is another screw at the top of the divider channel buried in the felt of the beaded channel. This is the tough one.  It is hard to find.  The head will strip and/or the screw will break.  At the bottom of the channel there is a 1/4 inch stud with adjusting nut to remove.

Robert Bothwell CLC # 20850