News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Happy Camper!

Started by Rhino 21150, August 29, 2005, 12:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhino 21150

On the 19th I dropped off my dads new 1940 La Salle 5219. I was about ten miles away when he discovered it sitting in his driveway but I heard his glee! And I was asleep! He thought the Limousine wedding bows I got at the craft store were a nice touch.
I drove the car 369 miles from Greensboro, N.C. to Glyndon, Md non-stop. I had planned on stopping but the East Coast was full that night! Only one problem: when I turned on the lights I discovered that I wasnt charging. A quick removal of the regulator cover and a twist of the voltage relay adjuster took care of that. I just had to wait until the engine bay cooled below burger temperature to work on it.
Lets see, no real A/C, power steering, automatic, power brakes, electric windows or seats. Not even a radio! I had a ball! 9-60 air conditioner. Four vent windows, four windows and the cowl vent. 60mph. I now fully understand the adjustable lumbar support.
Dad held his 83rd birthday party in his back yard. Over 150 people passed through. ALL praised the La Salle.
How many father-son owner pairs have we got on this site?
BTW, with gas costing 241.9, 245.9 and 249.9 it only cost eighty bucks!

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

I enjoy reading stories like this. Thanks for posting. What a wonderful gift, too! Sorry to say that my Dad does not have a classic caddy, though when I was in High School we did have paired 66 Mustangs. He was on original owner, and I still have mine.

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Youre a good son.  Im sorry I dont have my dad so I could do a similar gesture for him (I think his would have been a 40 Olds 98 sedan like he and my mother bought new early in their marriage). He would have enjoyed it just as much as yours did.