News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Engine Jacket Cleaning

Started by Ron Draper, August 30, 2005, 07:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Draper

Greeting one and all,

I am nearly ready to put new brass expansion plugs in the 56 block but there is a 50 year collection of gunk in the block passages (the height of the plug plus some).  I used my pressure washer to clean out the best I could but there is still gunk to the sides of the plug holes.  Any suggestions on how to remove the remaining gunk?  Use a chemical to desolve?  Would that destroy the new expansion plugs?  Any type of right angle nozzle for the pressure washer?

Many thanks

Ron

Doug Houston

Sediment can harden in a water jacket pretty badly, but uf you can get a pipe bent 90 degrees that will fit into the welsh plug holes, and drive high velocity water into it, the junk should wash out. Ive done it on the 1936-48 engines, and you have to battle with it for a few hours. Its really stubborn.

Now, on the BRASS core plugs. First, I wasnt aware that brass plugs were made. Second, I wounder about the wisdom of using brass in an iron block. Normally, you want to stay away from dissimilar metals in places like that. Sure as blazes, youd never use aluminum! I dont know of anyone having had experience with them, but especially in a high temperature situation, the brass might be a bit too far from iron on the electromotive series, and the brass plugs could plate away, and fall out. The biggest reason that core plugs fail is from corrosion, and that takes wuite a few years; probably longer than you or a few others may have the car.

Ron Draper

Okay - I will give it a try.  

Thanks

Ron

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Doug,

I have never had any problems with replacing rusted out welsh plugs  with brass ones.   In fact, I do the replacement as a matter of course whenever I do an engine up.

The only reason that the factories use the Steel ones is that they are cheap, and they will last longer than the warranty periods.   Even the extended warranties.

As far as cleaning out the sediment whilst the engine is still in the car is to patiently, with a sharp tool, like a bent screw driver, bent for the job, and sharpened, scratch around and keep on flushing out with water.   It is a messy job, but it can be done.

But, not the sort of job one wants to do whilst laying on ones back under the car, and getting drowned and dirty at the same time as laying in pools of water.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Porter 21919

Bruce,

The only difference between a SBC marine application is brass freeze plugs and SS head gaskets. (at least as far as the bare engine. Starters, etc. are different)

Porter

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Porter,

The Marine engine also uses a Sump pressed out of Copper, using the same forms as the steel sump, but the internal baffle is steel.   And, the Carburettors were Brass or Copper Plated, and use Brass throttle plates and Stainless Steel shafts.

I have one of each from a 327 SBC that we pulled from a boat.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV