News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

SHAKEY or WOBBLEY

Started by Tom, September 02, 2005, 08:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have a 1985 caddy eldorado convertible,WHEN THE TOP IS UP THE CAR RIDES FINE,WHEN THE TOP IS DOWN THE CAR SHAKES AND WOBBLES??? IS THE A TORCHON BAR OR SOMETHING YOU CAN TIGHTEN??? OR ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO THAT??? THANK YOU    Tom

Johnny

Quote from: TomI have a 1985 caddy eldorado convertible,WHEN THE TOP IS UP THE CAR RIDES FINE,WHEN THE TOP IS DOWN THE CAR SHAKES AND WOBBLES??? IS THE A TORCHON BAR OR SOMETHING YOU CAN TIGHTEN??? OR ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO DO THAT??? THANK YOU    Tom

Im sure someone else can give you a better answer, but I just like to say that convertibles are usually given more ridgid frames to avoid this problem, and keep them square.  Is it possible that with top up, the car is getting this ridgity?

Porter 21919

Thats probably the way they are. I would think if the top is up and the car drives nice and tight you answered your own question, assuming everything is mechanically ship shape.

Convertibles flex, I had a 66 Vette roadster, never drove a Coupe but Duntov wanted to build only Coupes in 1963, much stronger car.

More specifically I know a club member that had a beautiful 66 Eldorado, he was never happy with the stiffness of the car.

There is no torsion bar to adjust, enjoy the top down ride.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Johnny,

I an positive that the convertible top framework on any convertible will contribute to the rigidity of the body/chassis rigidity when in the up position.

Is it possible that you are experiencing a percieved looseness due to the buffeting of the wind with the top down.

One thing that you might try is to see if there is any difference when you dont fasten the header bow to the windscreen frame.   BUT BE CAREFUL HERE.   You dont want to have the wing catch the leading edge and fold everything back over the trunk lid.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV