News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Refrigerant HC-12a - replacement for R12

Started by David #19063, September 04, 2005, 12:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David #19063

Hello all,

Has anyone used Refrigerant HC-12a - replacement for R12?

http://www.foxtoolsupply.com/HC-12a.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.foxtoolsupply.com/HC-12a.htm

Please let me know.

David

Mike #19861

Personally, I would highly recommend this over R134a or even R12. I have been using it for years (differant brand names) and am more than happy with it.

It is more efficient, is enviromentally safe, less expensive and requires no retrofitting in either R12 or R134a systems. And it requires no special licences to handle. It can even be combined with these other refrigerants, although they do not recommend it.

Mike

Denise 20352

Are they serious about using only 35percent of what the system originally called for?  Should the pressures then be the same as they were for R12?  How about the sight glass?  With 35percent charge, should it be free of bubbles?

thanks

-denise

Don Boshara #594

HC12a could also be an excellent source for heating your car considering its made up of 65percent propane and 35percent butane. If your system has a leak, dont start your car or smoke!

Mike #19861

I think it is more like 60-70percent of the original charge.

Mike

Mike #19861

That is what it is made of. Actually isobutane, which has a slightly differant chemical makeup. But that is why it is called Hydrocarbon.

Gas and oil is also hydrocarbon, as well as most all of the rubber and plastic in the car.

As far as I know, there have been no reports of fires or explosions resulting from leaks. Red Tek 12a has a strong pine odour you can smell when it leaks, and they suggest you shut off the engine and extiguish any cigarettes when the odour is detected. A safe guard no doubt for the lawyers.

Mike

Denise

If it is flammable, I wouldnt use it.  Since there is no firewall between the evaporator case and the cabin, a leak in the evaporator could cause flammable fluid to enter the passenger compartment.  I like to keep all of my flammable fluids on the other side of the firewall.  Just my opinion.

-denise

william hunter

There are laws in most states against the use of propane and/or butane inside refrigeration systems.
You need to search the topic better, there are many death/injury reports over the last thirty years.

Denise

Is it compatible with freon and oil so that you can top off with it, or do you have to drain and flush?

thanks

-denise

wm link

EPA requires that it NOT be mixed with R-12...otherwise its a drop in replacement for R-12 MOBILE (cars) systems, including oil(500-525 mineral oil)...you use about 5percent less freeze 12 than R-12.

Don Boshara #594

From  a 2001 EPA Q&A posting:

4. May hydrocarbon refrigerants be used to replace CFC-12, commonly referred to as "Freon® ," in cars?
No. It is illegal to use hydrocarbon refrigerants like HC-12a® and DURACOOL 12a® as substitutes for CFC-12 in automobile or truck air conditioning under any circumstances.

Mike #19861

Just where is it illegal? Perfectly legal here in Canada and at least most of the US.

Mike