News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

HARD PEDAL

Started by Tommy, September 06, 2005, 02:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy

I have a 1985 caddy eldorado,when it comes to stopping the brake pedal is HARD, i think it might even be low also.but diffinetly the pedal is hard.  can anybody help????   THANK YOU  Tommy

David #19063

Hello Tommy,

Usually a hard pedal means a bad vacuum booster or loss of manifold vacuum to the booster.

Check the vacuum hose to to the booster make sure you are getting vacuum to your booster before you order a new booster.

David

denise 20352

Its also possible that one system (front or rear) is not working.  This would explain the low pedal.

-denise

Mike #19861

All of these HT4100 powered Cadillacs have an auxiliary vacuum pump that supplies vacuum to the accessories, such as the brake booster.

There is a sensor on the booster to detect low vacuum, which will turn on the dash brake light. Check to see if this sensor is disconnected and functioning correctly.

Also, check the filter. It should be located in the hose to the vacuum booster.

A quick check of the sytem, though, is to remove the hose from the booster. There should be a strong vacuum signal at the hose. This would normally stall the engine when removed, but I cant say with the presence of the pump would allow this to happen.

A low pedal is the indication of other problems. Air in the lines, a malfunctiong adjustor in the rear calipers, siezed caliper slider pins, worn linings... This could also cause the brake light on the dash to illuminate.

Mike