News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Opti Spark

Started by Mike #19861, September 08, 2005, 04:51:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike #19861

I have a question.

I am currently trying to repair an opti spark system as was used on the 1994-96 Fleetwoods. I have no spark. After cleaning out and replaceing the rotor and cap in the distributor, there is still no spark.

I will be trying a known good PCM to see if that is the problem. There was a code 36 and 42 stored, in which the code 36 is an opti spark code, and the code 42 is a PCM code. The manual says that it may be the PCM if a code 42 is stred along with a 36. If it is not the PCM, then it is the opti-spark.

I cant retrieve any current codes using the traditional flash method. I have to locate a scanner to do this.

My question is, for anyone out there with experience with these sytems. Can the optical sensor in the distributor be purchased separatly? I have tried GM and they say the complete distributor must be purchased at a cost of $500!

I have tried both the Echlin and Blue Streak sites with no luck.

Any leads or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Porter 21919

Mike,

Im not surprised, they want you to just buy a new one, not cost effective to pay a garage mechanic to rebuild one. Well worth our effort since we have the time and low overhead or free labor(our own time).

Having said that they want $ 62 at Napa for a 67 Cadillac drum brake wheel cylinder, I got rebuild kits for $ 6.50 each and a hone tool for $ 15.00.

Besides, it is more fun to do it the old school way, rebuild the parts, if you can get parts to rebuild them with.

We are becoming dinosaurs, Im pleased to get any parts at all for my 66/67 CDVs from Napa, all pretty generic GM stuff, fortunately, I keep the parts counter guys amused, ordering 60s Cadillac parts, I think they think Im a P.I.A. to them, one guy said I have too much time on my hands ! LOL

Porter

Mike #19861

I prefer to take things apart and fix them. I can figure out how they work at the same time.

I have never been a fan of replacing entire assemblies at great cost just as an expedient way of getting something running.

Older cars are great for that. Anything can be taken apart and repaired, usually quite simply and cheaply. These new cars wiith throwaway parts and assemblies is stupid.

Mike

John Washburn

Mike,

Why not just head down to your local Junk Yard, oh I mean auto wreckers, or even (ech) pull and save. May be a cheap way to fix.

I like to check out the inventories at my near by junk yards just in case I might need something. These can be great resources.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Porter is my hero and mentor...

Mike #19861

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have travelled that route. These cars are getting scarce around here for parts.All the cabs here are old Caprices and they have pretty well exhausted the wreckers for usable parts.

I have found only one wreckers with an old Caprice, and the opti spark is gone.

Mike

John Washburn

Try Elliotts in Colorado.

303+833-3501........

jw

Andrew Wall

came up with 30 hits on ebay searching under:
(optispark ,opti spark,opti-spark)

also pcmforless.com

Hope that is helpful

Mike #19861

I went back to have another go ate the problem. I tried another PCM (known good), to no avail. So I pulled the distributor again and took it apart and cleaned evewrything with isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth.

I notoced some corrosion on the pins of the sensor, and I cleaned that off. It was only very minor, and could only be seen under good light, kind of a greyish corrosion.

I reassembeled the distributor, plugged it in and spun it by hand, and there was lots of spark. I reinstalled the distributor and it fired right up. Nice to have this one behind me now!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! BTW, I did a search on E-Bay as well and came up with plenty of complete distributors, new and used. There was a used one I told my buddie to bid on, should he need a replacement.

I will continue the search for that sensor, but on a less frenzied scale. I hope that someone does sell it. I could save a lot of expense when this system goes down. As a note, this sensor is made by Mitsubishi for GM.

Mike

David #19063

Mike,

Did you reuse the gear driven waterpump or replace it with a new one?

How many miles on the car?

David

Mike #19861

I replaced the waterpump with a new unit. Not rebuilt

Not sure of the mileage on the car, somewhere in the region of 120K. The car is actually a 1995 Caprice 9C1, ex Idaho State Trooper car.

This car had the rotor, cap, PCM and waterpump replaced less than 2 years ago, before he bought it.

This has taught me that there cannot be any dirt or fluids present in the distributor. They must be clinically clean.

Mike