News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Caddy Carbourator..HELP..!!

Started by Jeff Gibson #22264, September 08, 2005, 05:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gibson #22264

Having my 56 4-door sedan re-done under the hood....almost all is finished..went to replace/rebuild my carb...(it is a Carter 4 barrel)....the plates are warped..I would really like to put a 2005 carb. on the car..is there such a thing as an adaptor plate that can be mounted on the manifold allowing me to use a modern carb..??    If not..were does a person come up on a 56 Carb....mine as I am told has a very small port opening on the bottom side...about 4 inches..all new carbs seem to be 5 AND LARGER...adaptors.??  new carbs..??   any and all help would be appreciated....  Thanks.....Jeff

Porter 21919

Jeff,

The plates are warped, what do you mean ?

Those carbs are idiot proof, simple to rebuild, forget about a 2005 carb, they stopped using them in the early 80s.

Try http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_kits.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_kits.htm

Or follow eBay for a replacement carb. Even if you only find a good core it can be rebuilt like new.

I rebuilt my 66 Carter carb, the guys rebuild the newer Rochesters all the time, basket cases.

John Washburn is the 56 expert and maybe hell weigh in here. Doug Houston has some 56s too.

Porter

John Washburn

Jeff,

Im with Porter on both points. The Carter is a good carburetor and Im not sure what plates are warped?

If youre just talking about the round metal discs that is one thing. If you are talking about the body flange assembly that is another endeavor all together.

Let me know I can probably help.

John Washburn
CLC #1067
Gosh I wish I was a smart as Porter!

Porter 21919

We are trying to have a serious discussion about carburetor repair and you start in with your stand up comedy routine ! LOL

In reality you gave me great advice on my 66 Carter carb rebuild, sorry to say the engine still doesnt run right, the 67 Rat Rod with the filthy Rochester carb and old ignition system runs smooth, go figure.

I pulled the 66 PCV valve hose off once and plugged it , the engine smoothed out. The first time I installed the carb the 429 ran smooth but it bogged out on acceleration, float drop set to low, they were so far off when I pulled the carb apart I was reluctant to set them to the proper level per spec. Now I think the float level is a tad too high and is causing minor flooding.

With these old cars if you dont drive them the plugs foul easily and then they will never run smooth once they are fouled.

Pooter

Porter 21919

John,

Stampie and his buds swear by the Rochester carbs, often the base is warped and you can just remachine or lap it smooth again on a flat surface. Many guys like the troublesome Holley carb, primitive but right out of the box. What the heck, it has exterior adjustable float levels .... must make the car faster.

I did my 90 Chevy Van brake rotors with 150K mileage on a piece of plate glass with some 3M 80 grit purple paper on the backside, did the outer face with a sanding block, super brakes, like new.

Have all the parts for the rear brakes but my silly 67 Rat Rod project has eaten up my entire summer.

Oh well,

Pooter                                              

Doug Houston

Back to the original question. I too, am confused about the term: plates. Granted, its been about 40 years since I rebuilt the carb on my first 56, but I had a kit and followed instructions and it turned out beautifully. I even helped a gas station owner in the neighborhood who had a 56 DeVille, and his worked beautifully.

In 1987, I bought the 56 I currently own. It had a Rochester carb on it and it just couldnt be made to run right. Its a totally different design from the Carter, so thats what I blamed for the problem. I was able to find a rebuilt Carter carb in a swap meet at the time and installed it on the engine. It worked perfectly. Currently, the car is in storage, and I havent driven it since that time, but the Carter carb was the solution to my problem.

If you can get your Carter carb rebuilt properly, youll see the brass screw on the base with a large head. This is the idle adjustment. This screw will be out several turns before the engine settles down to an idle, and the range of idle speed adjustment is pretty small. With the air cleaner off, youll hear the air sound change in the sir horn as you adjust the air bleed screw. This is a source of confusion to many mechanics, because it adjusts air bleed, rather than fuel in the idle circuit. Once adjusted, that engine runs as smooth as whipped cream.

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

Try:

Carolina Carburetor in Wilmington

or

Culver City Carburetor in ...Culver City

Carolina had a 61 Carter on the shelf waiting for me - It was in my hands within 3 days and runs great. I have heard good things about Culver City, too.

Try a web search, but if you cant find them, Ill dif through my archives for the address for Carolina Carb..

Art#22010

Jeff, try Arkansas rebuiders. 479-452-0340. this man if still alive has a half a million carberators. Its all hes ever done since high school. In 15 min. he found a model 722s carter for my 49. If he does not have your carb, then no one does. Let me know.   Art