News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel problem

Started by robert p millian, September 08, 2005, 06:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert p millian

I recently changed the engine in my 60 Coupe Deville. After getting everything hooked up I wanted to see if I could start it up. I took a 5 gallon gas can pushed inside it a hose and connected the other end to the fuel pump. I didnt use the original fuel lines as they were rusted out. I put a plug on the top nipple thats the vapor recovery line back to tank. Primed the carb and she started right up  and ran just great. Today I replaced the both fuel lines from the tank to the fuel pump. Primed the carb and she started right up then died. I reprimed over and over again. Would start then die. I disconnected the vapor line off the fuel pump and tried again to start it. As soon as it started, gasoline was pouring out of the vapor recovery nipple. This car has a/c and it has 2 lines coming out of fuel tank. One is the fuel line 3/8 hose to fuel pump and the other is 5/16 hose that goes to the top nipple of fuel pump. Whats got me stumped is,why is there fuel coming out of that nipple and not vapor going back to tank. Can anyone help me with this.

bob

Porter 21919

Robert,

I have a 66 CDV with just the gas line, no vent return line to the gas tank.

My new project car, a 67 CDV has the 3/8 gas line and the 5/16 return line as you have described. The poor old car sat outside for five years, Im running an auxiliary gas can to the fuel pump and the 5/16 return line is plugged.

I was going to eliminate the return line but have learned that it prevents vapor lock, the reason why it is there.

Im not really sure about your question, if you plug off the return line and the feed line is providing fuel it should run fine, just like my 67 Rat Rod, I have a one gallon can of gas sitting where the drivers side battery tray is located, tied into the fuel pump with the rubber gas line.

I have a fuel filter mounted on top of the engine, both gas lines tie in there, Im not even sure if the return line runs to the fuel pump first, ita a new project car.

At any rate well bring your question up to the top and get you and answer.

HTH,

Pooter

robet p millian

Porter

Yes, by pluging the vapor nipple on top of fuel pump and running the hose from a gas can to pump she runs fine. But if I connect the new vapor and fuel lines from fuel tank to fuel pump, it wont draw the gas to fuel pump. So I thought maybe something in the fuel tank is preventing the fuel from coming out. So, I drained the gas tank and removed the sending tank unit. I removed the stocking filter thinking maybe it was pluged up and not letting the fuel go thru the lines. And thats where I am now. If it doesnt rain today,Ill reinstall the fuel tank and try it again. This is driving me nuts.

bob

Porter 21919

Bob,

There has to be an obstruction or blockage somewhere, just stick with it.

Typically if you disconnect the fuel line at the fuel pump the gas will just run out, obviously.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Porter

Porter 21919

He has a 60 Flat top, just replaced his fuel pump this year.

Pooter

wm link

Hes still at the bank cashing his Stampie bucks!

Denise

How does the tank vent?  Have you tried it with the gas cap off?

You could take the gas cap off and blow air back through the line to make sure that its clear.  But dont blow very hard if it has a sock on the inlet or youll push it off.

-denise

Porter 21919

Wm Link, he blew all his Stampie Bucks in Vegas a few weeks ago.

Time to build the 514 for the 70 SDV.

robert p millian

Denise

I already tried that,blowing air into the hose to the fuel tank and vice versa and heard air coming out of a very small pin hole on part of the line I didnt replace. Since then I droped the tank,removed the stocking filter off the line thinking maybe its not letting the gas thru and reconnected the sending unit back in the tank. I then replaced all of the fuel lines from the fuel pump to tank. So I know thats all 100percent done. Since I had the tank down I decided to replace the rusted out brake lines going to each rear wheel cylinder as it was easier to get above the tank to change the lines. Thats what im doing now. Once I finish installing the new brake lines Ill put the gas tank back up and retry starting the car again. Hopefully it will draw the gas and run. This car has brought me to my knees as what always appears to be a small problem becomes a nightmare. But,I love it bringing a cady back up from the dead.

bob

Michael Stamps 19507

Did you fix that pin hole area while you were at it?

Stampie

Porter 21919

Stampie, I would assume he is replacing the line with the pinhole.

What was the problem with your 60, the fuel pump quit ?

Porter

Michael Stamps 19507

Actually you got that slighty wrong.  I had a slight problem of fuel spraying all over the engine bay.  I traced down the cause to a stupid owner who tightened the glass fuel filter bowl too much and cracked it.  Said owner will remain nameless but he did run very fast to turn the car off.

Stampie

Porter 21919

I cracked my pristine 66 windshield removing it so I get the idiot of the year award for 2004.

Those glass bowls need to be seated right or they can be trouble, my 66 has the bowl and filter setup on top of the engine, all part of the charm of these old cars.

My old 59 flathead six Greymarine boat engine had the fuel pump with the glass bowl, fun stuff.

I really wouldnt have any use for one of these new cars, I like something I can work on myself, granted if you want to replace them every three years before they break no prob, Ill take one but the $$$ up front and the insurance cost, crazy.

Then again if I was wealthy like the good old days ...... Id drive a CTS-V, since they dont make my beloved Eldorado anymore.