News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Cad 390 performance options

Started by Rob, September 09, 2005, 01:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

I have a stock 1959 Cadillac Fleetwood series 60 special. I am the second owner and everything is original as well as stock. I am looking at just changing the Carter carb to something new, getting better spark and an updated distributor. Has anyone done this and what products have you used?

Steve Cole

Hi Rob-

I have a 1961 SDV and I replaced my Carter carb with an Edelbrock Performer Series carb (600 cfm). Edelbrock bought Carters technology so their carb is basically a straight bolt on project. There are some minor installation issues (such as the fact that the stock linkage doesnt really have a hole to attach the transmission kickdown).

Ive been real happy with its peformance and it will solve your air cleaner issue since its the modern 5 1/4 diameter so you can use those full air type of air filters.

Shortly, Ill be installing the pertronix points replacement (w/ pertronix wires & coil) so I expect to gain some additional performance there as well..

HTH-

Steve

Fred Garfield

Rob, I dont know why youre unhappy with that Carter AFB or what youre looking to achieve by swapping it out. Its a spectacular carb for that engine/application, IMHO. I recently modified a stock 59 series 62 sedan as follows - MSD 6A ignition controller, Pertronix ignitor pickup, MSD Blaster 2, MSD super conductor 8.5 mm ignition wires and a one-step cooler plug with a 45 gap instead of 35. I add a pint of tetraethyl lead to each fill-up with supreme, which brings octane to about 100. Just those few simple things have made all the difference in performance. Ill probably add an alternator when the air conditioning, etc. are in place. But even then, 100 amps will be just fine. My advice is to hang on to that AFB.

Rob

Fred

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it. Another question for you i have is...are you using the stock distributor? Are you using the stock air cleaner system? If not what air cleaner adapter fits the carter? I bought a 5 1/8 sized adapter but it was too big. Is the Carter a smaller size such as a 4 inch?

Fred Garfield 22310

Im using the stock Carter AFB 4 bbl, stock air cleaner and stock distributor with its stock cap. The only modification Ive made to the distributor is the replacement of the points/condenser with a Pertronix pick-up. This, along with the other changes cited in previous post, has achieved my goals -- smooth, even idle; good power; brisk acceleration; minimized engine wear; and acceptable fuel economy. The 59 cad is a lumbering 5,000 lb passenger car, not a racing hemi. IMO, there is nothing to be gained in performance by the addition of a special air cleaner and bigger CFM carburetor. And Im still not clear on what you hope to remedy or accomplish by that kind of modification. If Im missing something here, let me know.

rob

Fred

Thank you again for your input. I am not of course trying to turn my 59 into a hot rod. I am just trying to improve the original equipment. This is my second rebuilt carter carb. The carb when going around corners at times causes stalling. This continues to happen even after my second rebuild and a completely different core. I also replaced all other fuel related items such as fuel pump, fuel filter etc. I also am faced for the second time with an issue of going around corners and the acceleration kiscks in. The timing has been checked and the distributor has been replaced with electronic ignition. Everything keeps pointing back to the Carter carb.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Rob,

Sounds like your float level is too low and you are getting fuel sloshing.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Steve Cole

This was the problem I had after rebuilding the Carter on my 1961. Thats the reason I switched to the Edelbrock Performer. Like you, I wasnt looking to convert it into a hot rod- I just wanted it to run!

Anyways, we did attempted the rebuild and we did attempt to adjust the floats per the Shop Manual but I guess it didnt work. Anyways, sometime down the road Ill probably send the Carter out to someone for a professional rebuild..

Fred Garfield 22310

Now I understand. Find out who the *winning* racers are locally and who they take their carbs to. Go there.