News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Exhaust manifold

Started by Wilson, August 30, 2005, 10:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilson

I need to know if it would be easy to remove an exhaust manifold from a 84 Eldo with a 4.1 engine. The manifold is on the drivers side of the vehicle. Can I do it without a lift and how long will it take. Are there any "tricks" to make the work go easier..

Also, what will I have to do to replace the oil dip stick tube as well.

Thanks..

Michael Stamps 19507

Im sure Mike will respond with his knowledge.

Stampie

Mike #19861

Yep, Im here.

You should be able to remove the manifold from the top. You may need to heat the nuts on the flange where the pipe joins up so you dont break the studs.

The bolts on the head usually come out, but be careful. Broken bolts here may necessitate head removal, which you really dont want to get into.

Mike

Wilson

Mike,

I was told that it would take a few hours to take it apart? Can you tell me how long it may take and can you walk me thru it. I was told I would have to remove a lot of parts, heat shield and so on..

Mike #19861

I will have to sit down and look at some pics of the engine and I have and peruse my manual. I dont have my Eldorado handy to me to go out for reference.

Myself, typically, I just attack the repair and do it without really making note of what has to come apart. I then reassemble it usung my very short term memory.

But, there is an AIR tube that must be disconnected. The heat shield mounts to the same bolts that hold the manifold on. make note of the position of these bolts wuth the studs on them for reassembly. They may be seized and require the use of heat to break the rust.

The flange nuts may well give the most difficulty. They will likely have to be heated using an oxy-acetleyne torch or they may very well break, making you have to replace them. This in itself can be a fun procedure without the proper equipment and feel.

Mike

wilson

Mike,

So your telling me that I should let the pros handel the job OR can I do it taking my sweeeeet time :).

Mike #19861

You should be able to handle the job if you take your time. Just be patient and dont break any bolts. As I said, having a torch to heat the rusted bolts will be of great help. Sometimes the so-called pros will break things as well which may lead to unecessary expense, but at times it is unavoidable depending on the condition of the bolts.

But, I have taken manifolds off without the use of heat if the rust is not too bad. But, with the extreme heat and contiunious heat cycles, this is a perfect breeding ground for rust.

Mike