News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Identity theft & member ID

Started by Dave Smith #17592, September 11, 2005, 05:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Smith #17592

The Message board home page specifically states that posts require proper names and CLC numbers (if a CLC member obviously) to use the board.  

Making up fake names to post is just juvenile and ignorant.    

YES!  Identity theft can cost people money and lots of time.   But THERE IS NO WAY YOUR IDENTITY CAN BE STOLEN BY POSTING YOUR NAME AND CLC# !!!        An identity thief needs your Social security number, bank account or charge card numbers to do any harm.    This club doesnt ask you to post any such information.

If you think that "JOHN DOE, CLC#:1001"  will give away your financial history, then you have no clue what you are talking about.  

Most clubs that have message boards require members to REGISTER and then "Sign-in" to post on the board.   This prevents jokesters and Trolls from coming in and causing trouble, not to mention those who only post to share a "Great find on Ebay"  when it is really just their own car/item.

Attention Webmaster Jeff!    How about it?  is it time we had people register to post???

David Smith,  CLC#17592  <proud CLC member>

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Dave,

Im with you on this.

It is hard for someone to steal an identity, especially as Australia doesnt have any Social Security Numbers.

It was very nice to get my CLC Membership Number.  And, I am proud to disaplay it for all to see.

Bruce,
The Tasie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

P.S.   Cmon fellas and sheillas, do the right thing.

Johnny aka Boolie

Do you really registering will do anything to stop people from using fictious names?  It wont!  I am on a couple of boards that require registration, and also allow "handles".  Whats to stop someone from registering here, and using a alias and phony number, and do you want this board to be only for memembers?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

But Johnny,

It is nice to know that the Members are actually doing what is in the "pre-amble" and that other members that are new to the scene realise just who the members are that are responding.   POlus, having a number might even encourage some people to join.

Yes, I know that people can stick in ficticious names and even numbers and email addresses, but the only ones they are fooling is themselves.

And, do we really want to go down the "registering" road.

Surely we, as members of one of the premier clubs in the world, can regulate ourselves with some decourum.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Michael Stamps 19507

I know that when I was new the great help from the members here were my reason to join the CLC.  I also know that because of me including my real email address I have found friends around the world that might not have been willing to post on the Board.

Stampie

JIM CLC # 15000

09-11-05
Jeff, if you are putting this to a vote (to register OR not) I cast my vote in the NO column.
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. I always post my REAL CLC number and email address,

Johnny

Bruce, The Tassie Devil(le),
Lets keep things in perspective, this is just a message board for a hobby.  Its not for National Security!  Sure we are all passionate for our cars, but to most people a Cadillac, or any other marque, is "just a car".

Does it really matter what name or if a number is used in posts?  I dont think so.  I think what is most important is the contents of the messages.  I have been on this board for many years, and rarely if ever does the board get "out of line".  Occasionally a thread might get long and drawn out, or not meet the approval of the webmaster, such as the "Bentwrench" issue, and the thread gets locked, but other then this, the board moves along quite smoothly and I see no need for one to post their full name or number.

Don Boshara CLC #594

David Smith CLC#17592

Quote from: Johnnyand I see no need for one to post their full name or number.

But there IS one reason.  It is already stated on this boards Forum Index as a requirement.    So there is your reason.  The Moderator says so.

I dont want to see this board become a sign-in type.   I like many of you folks already have wat too many sign-in passwords to remember.   But if we all play by the rules, then it will not be needed.  

David  

Johnny

Quote from: David Smith  CLC#17592
Quote from: Johnnyand I see no need for one to post their full name or number.

But there IS one reason.  It is already stated on this boards Forum Index as a requirement.    So there is your reason.  The Moderator says so.

I dont want to see this board become a sign-in type.   I like many of you folks already have wat too many sign-in passwords to remember.   But if we all play by the rules, then it will not be needed.  

David  

What is the penalty for not fulfilling the requirement?

Dave Smith #17592

"What is the penalty for not fulfilling the requirement?"

They take away your Cadillac and replace it with a YUGO.   :)

Denise 20352

I would prefer that real names be used, so I can know who Im talking to.  Since this board is part of an organized club, real names are appropriate.

-denise

Denise 20352

QuoteWhat is the penalty for not fulfilling the requirement?

You have your choice of the following deaths:

Drawing and quartering
The kettle
Disembowelment
Pressing
The water cure
Pit and pendulum
Garroting chair
The rack
Fun with stun guns
Braided on the wheel
Burning at the stake
Slow strangulation
Iron Maiden
Skull split
Hanging cage
Hillary Clinton speech

-denise

Denise

Now thats a fate worse than death.

-denise

Johnny

Quote from: Denise 20352I would prefer that real names be used, so I can know who Im talking to.  Since this board is part of an organized club, real names are appropriate.

-denise

But open to all worldwide.  How many people in the club do you actually know?  What is wrong with just using just a first name, such as you and I do?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Anything but a Hillary Clinton speech.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

William Hunter CLC #21622

Another NO vote on registration.
Sorry that I forget my CLC number so often.
Must be mental pause, from too many car clubs. :GRIN:

Johnny

Quote from: Bruce Reynolds # 18992Anything but a Hillary Clinton speech.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Only thing worse then that would be a weekend in Las Vegas with her!

Wayne #17075

Another NO to registering. Besides, Ive been allerted to auctions on ebay on this page. It helps when my mind is on the blink.
Wayne

Brad Hemingson CLC # 18???

I am a member but I often post from work and I can never remember my full number (#18137?). What I object to is handles. If you wont stand behind what you say by putting your name on it, it isnt worth posting. Long time users often get a little familiar and use first names and nicknames. I know who "Stampie" is and appreciate his input. However, new members and visitors wont know it.