News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Engine trashed at garage - issue resolved, need short or long block

Started by Stan 19079, September 12, 2005, 02:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan 19079

First, I want to thank everyone for their opinions and experiences with this sort of thing.  It really helped me sort things out.  Almost everyone was right about it, in that, every issue was discussed among the garage owner, insurance companies, third party experts and me.  It seems that, anything was possible, but in the final analysis, because the engine was not touched before the warmup on the road, the oil was checked before, the driver was a middleaged responsible family man and during tear down, it was found that the rodbolt to cap had failed, even I had to agree that it was just coincidence that it happened when it did.  (Thank God, becuase I was about to take a 1500 mile trip in it!!)  The block took a direct hit, so good bye to it.
The garage owner, who I know and have been going to for 5 years has agreed to cut labor costs in half, but now, we need to find a rebuilt short or long block, 500 CID or maybe a 472.  Anyone know where a good one, not too expensive might be found????
Thanks again everyone,
Stan

Denise 20352

Probably at your local wrecking yard, but I might have something if youre near Tucson.

-denise

David #19063

Stan,

Sorry to hear you have had this trouble...but you are correct, timing is everything.  

I know Stampie has some motors for sale and you can also check with Al at MTS, he has anything you need from mild to wild.

http://www.500cid.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.500cid.com/

Plus, he is a member here.

David

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Sounds like the guy is trying to treat you right and when you really think about it, that rod bolt failure is no less likely to happen while at the garage than in your hands. If you borrow a vacuum cleaner from your neighbor and it goes out, it would have gone out at their house the next time they used it (although theyll most likely expect you to repair or replace it).

Michael Stamps 19507

All I have left are cores that would need a total rebuild.  I would hit ebay and find a rusted out 75 or 76 and swap the engine.  You can part the rest of the car out for more than you payed for the car.

Stampie

Andrew 10642

I have a 68 cadillac with an engine that ran until the guy ran into another car.  Its in Columbus, Ohio still in the car in a garage with air compressor availability.  You can let me know if your interested.  Dont know the condition of the engine.

wm link

I have both a 500 and a 472, hear em run. complete engine fan to flywheel, carb and manifolds too. $600 ea. in PX, AZ

Scott Howard #22304

Sorry about the bolt.  When your time is up, its your time.  Poor bolt.  Great the owner of the shop is working with you.  When it is all put back together and running correctly dont forget to take him and the tech an offering of appreciation.  It goes a LONG way toward that repair & the next misfortune, if one occurs. God forbid.   Scott.

Stan 19079

Hi wm link;
Thank you for  the reply.  I will be t raveling t hrough Phonix in October, can I  stop in to  the engines?  My email is khoe@mum.edu  Thanks, Stan

Stan 19079

Hi wm;  Will you be in PX the 2nd week in October?  I would like to see the engines.
Thanks for you reply,  Stan  khoe@mum.edu

wm link

Stan I sent you an email to address provided...Thank you!

Mike #19861

Im glad the issue was resolved. A broken rod bolt can go at any time, but I still find it more of a coincidence that it happened at the shop after many reliable miles over the years that you had the car.

The shop is helping out, which is a good thing. The fact that they tore the engine down, then were honest in their assessment was good.

The 1970 Eldorado was unique in that it was the only year of the high compression 500. The most powerful engine Cadillac made up until that time. 400 hp and an earth moving 550 lbs ft of torque. Im sure you will not be satisfied with the performance unless you replace it with the same engine.

Good luck in getting a replacement engine, and I wish you the best in resolving this.

Mike