News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1998 Seville STS Problem

Started by Tim T Johnson 9037, September 12, 2005, 11:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim T Johnson 9037

My 98 STS Inconsistently dies or will not start.  This is an intermittent problem that has been goiig on for about 6 months.  The service engine soon light does not stay on.  When the car starts and is running it is just fine.  What usually will happen when it acts up is it turns over but will not start and the dash lights are either off or flicker and the tilt/tele wheel will go up and down and door locks wil also go up/down.  The car will also sudenly just die when moving (Only at slow speeds).  It has never died at highway speeds. It usually happens 1-9 times in a row and then can be fine for days. I have checked all battery connections and have even swapped batteries.  That did not help.  I have brought it to two cadillac dealers and they can not figure it our either.  They have reinforced the grounds to the engine, body and alternater and have also downloaded new software.  Nothing has corrected the problem.  The dealer called Cadillac too and they dont have any ideas either.  The only suggestion was to hope it would die completely so they could find the problem or change the ignition swithh that will cost over $300 and is no garuntee that it will take care of the problem.  Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I love the car and hate to get rid of it but in the winter when its -40 or ice and snow here in northern MN a dieing car could be dangerous!  Thanks in advance. Tim

David #19063

Hello Tim,

If this is the same problem we have had with our 96 Concours the solution is to replace the dash unit.

Since your STS is the same as our Concours...

Our 96 is on its 3rd dash and now it is starting to act up again.

Is your dash a digital unit?  Whether it is or is not, there is some kind of short that causes this problem.  Cadillac found it once, couldnt find it a second time (another shop did under warranty), and there is a Cadilac Service Bulletin for these years about dash replacements and no start problems associated to the dash and bad wiring connections.

We have been through what you are going through.  The dealers and mechanics generally are not skilled enough in electronics to figure it out...eg., they just keep replacing components until it is fixed.

Cadillac KNOWS about this problem but if they admit it, they have to pay for your fix...as they BS they give you...you have to pay for a fix.

Problem also is that when you get a replacement dash from Cadillac it is NOT a new one, you get a remanufactured one from Cadillac.

Trust me, weve experienced this.

Cadillac should stand behind this even after the warranty has expired because it is a defective part...but usually they will not.  

If they do not, get rid of the car and spend your money on a non-GM brand.

Power of the consumer...

We are looking to sell our and replace it with a newer car...maybe a DTS, but hopefully a 300C Hemi or Magnum RT.

David

Jim Smith

Tim  

Had a 78 Seville years ago which had a somewhat similar intermittent problem which the Cad dealers were not able to locate.  My son who is in the electronics/computer industry suggested unplugging and plugging in all the multiconnector plugs going into the Electronic Control Unit two or three times.  That took care of the problem for the remainder of the years I had the car. He says corrosion and not the greatest quality of some of these type connectors are one of the major problems in some of the electronics industry. Good Luck,  Jim

Tim T Johnson

Thanks for the info.  Sure sounds like my problem is what you have been going through with your car.  I plan to bring the info you provided me to my cadillac dealer to see what they say.  Perhaps with luck they can talk Cadillac into replaceing my dash.  Im afraid to find out how much it would cost.  My dash is both digital and liquid crystal as far as I know.  Thanks again.

Tim T Johnson

Thanks Jim.  I will bring your scanario to the cadillac dealer too and have them try your suggestion.  I hope it works.  It would be alot cheaper than a whole new dash.  Tim