News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Control Cable Question

Started by Dave Leger CLC #19256, September 14, 2005, 09:14:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I have a defroster control cable which had broken on my 1947 6207.  The outer metal sheath is in good shape, just the steel wire core broke long ago.  Does anyone know where I can get such steel wire to re-core the control cable, or barring that, where I could pick up control cable by the foot?  Web browsing hasnt turned me up anything, other than the idea of picking up one of those universal choke kits and scavenging the core from that cable.

Mike #19861

Cables can be made, and are commonly done in the industrual sector.

You could contact a local lift truck or materials handling shop and ask them who makes cables for them. Im sure this will give you at least a lead.

Mike

Dave Leger CLC# 19256

Thanks Mike - thinking about mechanical (non-automotive) uses gave me a new line for web searches, and I found a supplier.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Dave,

I have used hood cables in the past to construct control cables, but you have to use the ones with the solid wire, not the wound type.

They are long enough to make up about anything.   Doing RHD conversions, the original cables are never long enough.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dave Leger CLC# 19256

Bruce - thanks for the suggestion.  By the way, Ive been down your way to Hobart before.  Beautiful country there.  (I work in the U.S. Antarctic Program, and was in port on one of our research icebreakers)

Dave

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Dave,

Next time you are in port, give me a call.   I live on the other side of the river and am in the phone book.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike #19861

Glad you found something.

Its amazing the world of industrial suppliers. You can find a lot of stuff there that you would not dream of.

For instance, if you have a power steering hose that has gone kaput, then take the assembly to one of the industrial hydraulics suppliers and they can make you up a new hose using the original ends usually while you wait for a fraction of the cost. The same goes for AC hoses.

Mike