News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldo not starting

Started by Paul Ulasien CLC# 18912, September 15, 2005, 06:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Ulasien CLC# 18912

I posted this on the Technical Board as well.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My 1976 Eldo Convertible is not starting. It seems to be getting fuel (I can smell it) and I also tried spray ether. I used an inductive pickup on the ignition wires and got no light while trying to turn it over. I had a spare coil and installed it but to no avail. What else should I be looking at? Im suspecting the the ignition control module but was wanting to know if there is a way to test it before swapping it out. It is only 2 years old as I replaced it when I put in a new distributor in 2003.

Thanks

Paul Ulasien CLC#18912

Matt Harwood

Im going to bet that it is indeed the module in the distributor. Theyre quite fragile and I recall I replaced the one in my 76 Eldo almost yearly. If you dont use the "jelly" they seem to overheat and slowly cook themselves to death. I had a spare from a junkyard that I knew was good that I used for diagnostic purposes--I would install it, see if the car fired, then remove it and get a replacement. For the 10 minutes it takes to swap them out, it was an easy diagnostic.

I used to work for a company called Actron, who made sensor testers. They arent very expensive and they have a procedure that will test the module. But the tester probably costs as much as the module...

Hope this helps.
--
Matt Harwood
Cleveland, OH
My 1941 Buick Restoration:
http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html

denise 20352

Make sure that there is a good 12v feed to that distributor.  If you have a tach plugged in, unplug it.  That covers the wiring.

The modules are cheap.  If the voltage is OK, I would throw a module at it.

-densie

Paul Ulasien CLC#18912

Thanks to all for your comments. It was the HEI module. I went ahead and replaced the coil and condensor module while I was at it. History has told me that getting a fresh start with all ignition components doesnt hurt and helps avoid problems in the near future.

Ounce or prevnetion is worth a ound of cure :)