Author Topic: 76 Eldo not starting  (Read 1188 times)

Paul Ulasien CLC# 18912

76 Eldo not starting
« on: September 15, 2005, 06:47:47 PM »
I posted this on the Technical Board as well.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
My 1976 Eldo Convertible is not starting. It seems to be getting fuel (I can smell it) and I also tried spray ether. I used an inductive pickup on the ignition wires and got no light while trying to turn it over. I had a spare coil and installed it but to no avail. What else should I be looking at? Im suspecting the the ignition control module but was wanting to know if there is a way to test it before swapping it out. It is only 2 years old as I replaced it when I put in a new distributor in 2003.

Thanks

Paul Ulasien CLC#18912

Matt Harwood

Re: 76 Eldo not starting
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:18:14 AM »
Im going to bet that it is indeed the module in the distributor. Theyre quite fragile and I recall I replaced the one in my 76 Eldo almost yearly. If you dont use the "jelly" they seem to overheat and slowly cook themselves to death. I had a spare from a junkyard that I knew was good that I used for diagnostic purposes--I would install it, see if the car fired, then remove it and get a replacement. For the 10 minutes it takes to swap them out, it was an easy diagnostic.

I used to work for a company called Actron, who made sensor testers. They arent very expensive and they have a procedure that will test the module. But the tester probably costs as much as the module...

Hope this helps.
--
Matt Harwood
Cleveland, OH
My 1941 Buick Restoration:
http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/index.html

denise 20352

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 06:20:28 PM »

Make sure that there is a good 12v feed to that distributor.  If you have a tach plugged in, unplug it.  That covers the wiring.

The modules are cheap.  If the voltage is OK, I would throw a module at it.

-densie

Paul Ulasien CLC#18912

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 07:27:21 PM »
Thanks to all for your comments. It was the HEI module. I went ahead and replaced the coil and condensor module while I was at it. History has told me that getting a fresh start with all ignition components doesnt hurt and helps avoid problems in the near future.

Ounce or prevnetion is worth a ound of cure :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

All Cads