News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Series 75 Rear Axle Diagram

Started by Ken Picard, September 17, 2005, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Picard

Greetings All
I bought a 1941 Series 7533 Caddy recently. After a fews days of using it what else a screeching from the left rear wheel
I have to change the rear outer bearing on both sides (one is shot but I will change both)I dont have a book yet but I need to know / see a picture of the assembly to place the new seal and press the new bearings on. When I pulled it apart there was no seal in the housing either side and no collar in front of the existing bearings.They are not original as they aresealed been changed?? but the new replacements from Coopers have this collar in the box. One of the old school guys told me I do not need that collar or the seal?? I believe he is not correct.The main issue is the position to press the new bearing to. There is a groove on the axle where the current bearing (both sides) stop at.Anyone have a view and or specs to help me out I would appreciate it tremendously.Need to get this car back on the road for a big local show on Long Island. If you can help please contact me and I will give you my fax number. Thank you in advance for your time and possible assistance. Best Regards Ken

Bill Ingler CLC7799

Ken-It has been sometime since I have replaced rear axle bearings.I believe the original bearings were New Departure and are sealed bearings as well as the new replacements that are on the market.The differental oil never was used to lubricate the axel bearings. The rear axle seal was placed inside the axle tube and was driven home until it seated. Then the axle with the bearing pressed on the axle was placed in the axle tube and carefully pushed through the seal until the bearing seated at the end of the axle tube. Since these bearings are sealed with lubrication years ago,and get no lubrication, that is the main reason they go bad. Are you sure that down inside the axle tube you don`t find an oil seal. The seperate collar that is provided with the new bearing is to be used to push the new bearing on the axle. Most shops will use an arbor press to push off and on bearings. Don`t use a punch to knock off the old bearing as inevitably the punch slips and you ding up the surface just inside the bearing where the seal lip runs against the face of the axle. Any dings and your seal will leak and oil will get past the seal, then the bearing and onto the brakes.Then you have real trouble.I would press the new bearing on the axle to the same spot as the old.If I remember correctly there should be a slight ridge on the axle tube which is the seat bottom for your oil seal.All seals and bearings can be bought from Cooper in CA.Use a seal driver to drive home the new seal being careful to get the seal started straight to the opening.

Ken Picard

Hi Bill;
Thanks for the info. I will be working on the car tomorrow again and will look down the tube for the seal.I assumed it would be right there when we pulled the axles. The old school guy told me that collar was a stop for the bearing to keep it from moving outward towards the drum. I did not know as this is the first real old Caddy I have had. I have purchased the new parts from Copper and the fellow Bob was extremely helpful. I will be calling him again on Monday for some other parts.
Thanks for all your help with this. At least I can tell the shop to press the new parts to the same spot as the old ones.
I need a heater shell for the car. We got a good heater unit off eBay with the controls and switches etc but no box with the opening doors. At least it did not leak and the motor ran fine. Where might I get the sheet metal?? Thanks for your help with this matter. I will let you know how we make out.
Best Regards
Ken

John

Hi Ken, I wish I could help you but this is a bit before my time. But you mention an outfit called Coopers. Is this a specialty supplier of bearings and seals etc...? If so a web address would be much appreciated to see what all they sell and to update my address book of suppliers. Most of the common ones want to rape you for a set of wheel seals.
Thanks, in advance!   John...59 SDV

Ken Picard

Hi John
The web site for coopers is www.coopersvintage.com.Prices are very reasonable. Out here on Long Island some local classic car parts place wanted $60 each fpr the rear outer bearings.Coopers got $30 each same brand go figure. If you call them ask for Bob very nice, helpful and knows alot about Caddys.What year Caddy you have? I also need some help with finding a reasonable place to rebuild a 58 Cad Brake Booster. Its a Bendix Hydroflo unit. These guys out here want almost $500.
Catch you later.
Regards
Ken

JIM CLC # 15000

09-18-05
John and all others that need Bearings and Seals, greetings,I have an 800 number, and these people have an old book.
So much for chic chat, now heres the good stuff. McGUIRE Bearing Company Portland, OR  1 800-547-6045 Seattle, WA 1-800-562-7206 Tacoma, WA 1-800-562-9892 Spokane, WA 1-800-541-4114 Boise, ID 1-800-477-4334  Eugene, OR 1-800-624-2404 Salem, OR 1-800-945-4403 Idaho Falls, ID Salt Lake City, UT 1-800-893-4599. (The clark said, too bad that the owner, Mike, was not there as he has an old car and would know whether or not the seals were available that I needed without checking the book The clark also said that the store would ship bearings and seals. BTW, two (2) seals cost me a bumdle, as they are imported, about $3.15 each, but I will most likely have to return them. The clark said if I would measure the axle and the OD of the recess in the axle housing, they most-likely could match-up the sizes to a seal.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim

JIM CLC # 15000

09-18-05
Sorry, I didnt put in a phone number for Idaho Falls, ID. it is
1-800-477-4334 ( same as BOISE )
(I put in all of the stores, as some may or may not have the seals/bearings in stock all of the time).

John

Hi Ken,
I appreciate you forwarding the site for Coopers. I copy the message and paste it into Excel, then store it in my documents. I will give it a look see this evening.

As for the car it is a one previous owner 59 SDV 6329 six window. Im going to post a question to the gurus of CLC and find out their opinion on my restoration project later.
Thanks,
John

John

Hi Ken,
I appreciate you forwarding the site for Coopers. I copy the message and paste it into Word, then store it in my documents. I will give it a look see this evening.

As for the car it is a one previous owner 59 SDV 6329 six window. Im going to post a question to the gurus of CLC and find out their opinion on my restoration project later.
Thanks,
John

John

Hi Jim,
Thank You for your replies.
Dont get too shook up about the phone numbers, look what I just did....put up the same post twice because I didnt know how to edit out one word and change it. LOL
John

Doug Houston

Ive tried to send messages to you a couple of times, including a picture and the messages come back as undeliverable. Id like to help, but......?