News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

denises Chrysler

Started by John Moran, September 19, 2005, 08:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Moran

Fond memories of my Grandparents deep plum 1965 Crown Imperial with white icing leather interior every option and I think a 440 4 barrel.  

Chrysler is putting out the post impressive product s of the big three; GM even had the b…s to copy the PT Cruiser.

What years were the bustle back Imperials made? (Imitation 1980-85 Seville.)

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Denises Chrysler was a real beauty, a true survivor! If I recall correctly, the "bustle back" Imperials were built from 1981 to 1983.

David #19063

Hi John,

All 65 Imperials and New Yorkers came with the Firepower 413 Wedge with a 4 bbl and 340 HP and there was an optional 360 hp version as well available on the NYR and 300/300L (last year of the Letter Cars).

In 66, they came with the Firepower 440-4 350 hp with single exhaust or optional on the NYR & 300 was the Firepower TNT 440-4 with dual exhaust and 365 hp.

David

Denise

Naturally were all Cadillac people here, but I cant imagine any serious car collector overlooking the contributions that Chrysler has made, and probably will continue to make, to the auto industry.  Just to list a few:

That square steering wheel (gotta love it)
The Firepower 390 engine
The 426 hemi
First production eletronic ignition
First computer-controlled emissions system
Dodge trucks with the Cummins turbo diesel
The PT Cruiser
The new 300, which Ive heard nothing but praise for.

And lets dont forget rich Corrrrrinthian leather  (who knows what that means, but it is nice and soft)

People calling my car, or all Chrysler product, junk doesnt bother me too much, because Ive been guilty of making that generalization about the new GM cars, not to mention a paricular Ford product.

It really doesnt matter what anyone else thinks about your car, though, and I think that many people dont realize that, especially young people.  Theyre always putting junk all over their cars, sort of a mating call, I guess, trying to impress others, when their car may or may not suit them personally.

Ive seen people show me their new economy cars, and I dont know if theyre having buyers remorse or if they just see something in my face, but they always feel the need to make excuses for them.  "It gets really good gas mileage", "Its easy for me to park", "My parakeets cage fits perfectly in this compartment", or whatever.  People who buy the car that they really want to drive wont be making excuses for it.  For me, compliments are appreciated, derogatory remarks are mostly ignored.  I know what I like.

-denise

John

Denise,
Dont take to heart what a lot of people say. Remember, your on a CADDY forum. There are a lot of bias people here. My very first car when I was 16 was a 1969 Plymouth GTX with a 426 stage III, factory Hurst 4 speed and Dana rear. I never had the guts to "find" the top end. If I had only known what that would be worth today. After that I had 4 or 5 big Chryslers, and loved them, especially that 440 under the hood. I traded my last NYR for a showroom 69 Caddy coupe loaded with even the seat heater.
Now I found this 59 Cad and love blossomed all over again. IMHO the 1959 Cadillac, no matter what model is the most beautiful car ever produced in the USA.
Enjoy life. Its too short!!!
Regards, John

JIM CLC # 15000

09-20-05
Denise, lets not forget that it was Chrysler that came-up with the third "stop" light.(possibly because the Chrysler built cars could stop in a shorter distence, and the Pord and drivers of other makes tried to "mate" with the Chrysler built cars).
Good Luck, with your Chrysler,it looks great! Jim

Denise

> Denise, lets not forget that it was Chrysler that came-up with the third "stop" light

I was gonna say Benjamin Bannicker, but maybe that was something else.  Teach me to pay attention in history class.  ;)

-denise

Dick Heller

Wasnt the Toronado the first production car with upper brake lights?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

No, it was Cadillac with the stop lights in their tail fins.

But then, I suppose they were actually "Forth" Brake Lights.

JIM CLC # 15000

09-21-05
Dick, not unless the TORONADO was available in 1940!
Good Luck, Jim

Johnny

Quote from: Dick HellerWasnt the Toronado the first production car with upper brake lights?

I believe you are correct.  Keep in mind the Oldsmobile had the "upper brake lights" above the trunk in addition to the regular tail lights.  I dont believe any other car had these previously.

http://www3.telus.net/toronado/ot71Back.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www3.telus.net/toronado/ot71Back.jpg

It could be said that the 1959 Cadillacs were the first with rear side marker lights, that didnt become mandatory until 1968.

John Moran

My brother reminded me about our 68 Plymouth Fury that my mother had to use a butter knife to start every time we went some where, pretty embarrassing at school pick-up time (LOL)

Mike #19861

That was not a third brake light, but the only brake light. It was mounted in the trunk handle housing.

This was in the days before turn signals were even remotely popular. Most were aftermarket "Signal Stats". I think it was Buick in 1941 that offered the first factory installes turn signals.

But, I think the claim of the first can still go to a Chrysler product. The 1958 Plymouth had a brake light mounted in the centre of the bumper. Maybe not high mount, but a third brake light nonetheless.

The 1971 Toronodo is the first as far as I know to mount 2 separate brake and turn signal lights high in the trunk. The 1974 Riviera followed suit.

Mike

Denise

That reminds me of the mid 70s Oldsmobiles that wouldnt start unless you fastened the seat belt.  The idea was first mentioned in Mad Magazine, as a joke, but Olds took it seriously.  Of course the result was that the car wouldnt start whether you had your belt on or not, so you had to go under the hood and press a button on the firewall.

-denise

Doug houston

In 1938, Oldsmobile had tail/stoplights high on the side of the trunk. Then Chevrolet in 1939, Graham-Paige along about the same time, and dont forget Cadillac 72 in 1940. The first american car with built-in turn signals was the 39 Buick. the switch was on the shift lever, and the signals didnt cancel after the turn. Chrysler Corps very effective stop lights on the decklid from 1941-48 might fit into this thread. I think that there were one or two others, but Im blank after this.

Cadillac and LaSalle in 1940 had built-in turn signals, but non-cancelling. the 41 Cadillacs had self-cancelling signals.