News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Valve Retainers

Started by Marc A. Thurston, September 21, 2005, 10:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc A. Thurston

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate a valve retainer for a 1932 V-8 engine?  I have tried Egge machine shop and they do not have any retainers.

thanks

Harry Scott (4195)

Marc, I need one too, for 1930 V-8, and havent been able to find one yet.

JIM CLC # 15000

09-22-05
Harry & MARC, since you said that you havent been able to find any (Harry said). Why not try to find a close match and take it to a machinist (take one that works for him to copy) and have it modified. I would start with either the Flat head Cadillacs or the straight-8 La Salle engine then other GM engines before trying other makes.
Good Luck, Jim

Harry Scott (4195)

My machinest has a coffee can full of them. Since I only need one (half) I guess Ill dump the can out and look for a match, or close match that can be modified. Interestingly, when the engine was disassembled there was only one half holding one of the values. Who knows how long it had been like that. Thanks.

JIM CLC # 15000

09-23-05
Harry, thanks for the reply and readn my post. My guess would be that the mach-a-nick that orignally worked on it didnt know that one-half had dropped-out.I would be for a close look-see in the Valve valley, usen a strong (bright) light.
Good Luck, Jim

Marc A Thurston

Jim - Thanks for the suggestion.  I will give this a shot.  
Thanks

Marc

JIM CLC # 15000

09-23-05
Marc, first, thanks for the reply. Marc, maybe you should contact Harry, as he said that his mach-a-nick had a coffee can full of odds valve retainers and that he would be looking for one that he needs. Maybe he can find two!
Good Luck, Jim

Harry Scott (4195)

Jim, I tried that. I also used a magnet and took the goop out and felt through it to no avail. Marc, I think the retainers are the same for both engines. I will try and get by the machine shop next week and check. How many do you need?

Marc A Thurston

Harry - I need one retainer.  Thanks for looking.

Marc

Harry Scott

I will try and get down to the shop before Hershey. Ill let you know.