News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Foam rubber gasket and vacuum line placement for a heater core installation in a 62

Started by Edward Kenny #15457, September 25, 2005, 08:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny #15457

In pulling out the heater core box from under the dashboard of my 62 CDV, I found a foam rubber gasket (made of foam rubber similar to the kind you find in mouse pads these days... about 1/4 thick) that needs to be replaced. The gasket rests at the opening where the air is forced through the core and acts as a bushing against the firewall of the car.   I need to know:

1) Has anyone encountered the same gasket in a heater core job, and

2) Are new gaskets available, or will I have to cut my own??

Also, how are the vacuum control lines fed back into the engine compartment?? I see that there are 4 holes in the air duct box that is bolted to the engine compartment firewall, but I cannot trace back into the car from those holes. Also, one of the holes is presently being used as a feeder hole for the brown wire to the a/c and heat fan. How do the lines get back into the passenger compartment of the car?? And how is that brown wire SUPPOSED to be threaded anyway???

Lots of questions here. Thanks for your patience, and Thanks EVER SO MUCH in advance.

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

Hi Ed,
   To answer some of your questions:

Yes, there should be the foam backing.

No, I dont think anyone makes a reproduction
so

Yes, youll have to make a new one. Any foam should do, even an old mouse pad, or body putty.

You must have an A/C car - the vacuum lines go through the 4 holes. Behind the holes, hidden by the A/C box, is a cutout in the cowl. It is several inches square, and serves as the air intake when in recirc mode, to draw cabin air back into the A/C system. The vacuum hoses just go through that big hole, through the steel cowl, past the fiberglass insulation blanket, and are tucked along the inner cowl/firewall.
To help find the hole, with the engine OFF, turn your fan switch on high, and reach back behind the dash to feel for air flow. I believe the default position of the air door is 100percent recirculate, so with no engine vacuum, the air should get sucked in from the passenger compartment. The hole in the cowl is about in line with the light switch in the glove box.
The vacuum hoses connect to a square 4-prong pot metal connector, and the hoses continue from the connector on to their various destinations at the heater and A/C controls. It is a royal pain to try to get them connected correctly - trial and error...
I think I have at home a diagram and description of the hose connections. Also, I cant remember offhand where the wire goes through, but I can check when I get home this afternoon. E-mail me at home, to remind me to look for all that. But for now, maybe you can get started on the heater foam.

Your friend in fins,

Jim