News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 tri-power set up

Started by rex crews #18304, October 09, 2005, 04:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rex crews #18304

Greetings, Fellow Members,

I need some assistance with my tri-power set up on my 1958 Eldorado Seville.  The tri-power appears to be working and kicking in when I accelerate; however, after three tanks of gas, I find I am only getting about 7 mpg.  I feel I should be getting 12 or so at least. I checked the choke as it was sticking, but that has not corrected the problem.  Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?  You may feel free to email me off-list.

Thanks so much,

Rex Crews  Durham, NC

Porter 21919

Rex,

That is a neat car, the 58 Sixty Special is one of my favorites.

I just bought shop manuals for my 66 & 67 CDVs, you should get a 58 shop manual if you dont have one already, they are very extensive and should cover the 58 tri-power setup.

I used to get 12 mpg around town and 17 mpg highway with my 66 429 daily driver back in 89/90, you should do even better than that with the tri-power carbs.

Good luck,

Porter

Michael Stamps 19507

If I remember correctly the tri power has a seperate manual.  Reprints of which are all over Ebay.

Stampie

alan feltham

I get 15 mpg highway - 10 in town. under the big air cleaner is the publication - only the center carb normally works, vacuum and accelerator pressure kicks in the front AND rear together.

Contact :1958 cadillac Owners Association  - Dave becker , for the publication

Dennis

If youre using the oild bath air cleaner, dont over fill the reservoir. It may seem a weird thought, but heavy oil and air flow arent compatible. I found this out the hard way on my 57 Eldo Seville with 2 WCFBs and the big batwing air cleaner.  I think I put a quart of oil in each one one (along with new points, plugs, coil, condensor).  I was chasing problems all over the place until this old head came up to me and asked me about the cleaner.  He saw me cleaning them out earlier.  Duh!!  

What does your exhaust tips look like?  Sooty?  May still be running too rich.  

I still only get about 10 MPG.

Just some suggestions.

Let us know what you find out.

dd