News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Soda Blasting

Started by Bob 13906, October 12, 2005, 10:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob 13906

Does anybody have any experience with soda blasting ? Can a regular sandblaster unit be used? Thanks, Bob

Mike

I had the entire body of my 1956 Fleetwood soda blasted with terrific results.  Metal was smooth as a babys butt, and soda leaves a protective coating that prevents rusting until you can prime and paint. Had a shop do it - not sure if they use different nozzles etc, but apparently soda isnt coarse enough to do heavily rusted items like frames, as quickly as silica. Mike

Tom Beaver CLC 22002

Soda blasting takes special equipment, either with air or water.  The equipment is not cheap nor is the soda.  I have a soda hydroblaster which I have used on aluminum and it works well.  I have also hauled my 38 coupe to a shop and had it air soda blasted, as the price they quoted was about what the soda would have cost me.  The results are very good, however, it will not remove rust.  It will take off loose scale, all paint, plastic body filler (if its not to deep) as well as dirt and grease.  It can also warp thin soft aluminum tags and plates so remove these before having the body soda blasted.  If you have it done take the body off and have them do the underside as well because this will save you a lot of time and aggravation later.
Good luck.