News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 vs 64 Purchase?

Started by Larry, October 12, 2005, 12:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Hi,
   20 years ago, I owned a 1959 Coupe and a 1964 Coupe convertible. I wish I still had them! I am going to purchase one or the other (again!) and wanted to ask your opinion as to which is more realiable, easier to work on, availability of parts, special concerns, etc.
   I am going to look for a nice driver in the $15,000 range.
   Your feedback will be appreciated!

Mike #19861

If it were me having to choose, I think I would go for the 64. Sure the 59 is an icon and loaded with gotcha, I feel the 64 is the better of the two.

I prefer the styling of the 64. It being one of my favourites. Also, it has the 429, THM400 and is the first year when Comfort Control was availabe. Perfomance and comfort are better.

Also, $15K will get you a very nice 64 deVille convertible. Parts are more available as well and probably cheaper. But being a convertible will command a premium over a hardtop. I suppose $15K should buy a pretty decent 59 Coupe deVille as well.

When you owbed these cars 20 years ago, the 64 was more or less a used car, with the 59 just coming into its own. You will know better which you preferred to drive at the time, and that should influence your decision.

Happy Hunting!

Mike

Andrew 10642

I echo Mikes comments. Ingoring the style issues that are a personal choice, the tranny is much easier to deal with, and the engine is more powerful (FUN!!).  More options. Climate control is a mixed blessing, but a lot of cars in 64 didnt have it.

I admit I am no expert, but the cars should handle equally well(or poorly, depending on your standards), given the similar chassis.

In reality, condition and price will rule your purchase.  Look for both and let fate decide!!

Rob Gerace #16100

In addition to what the other gentlemen mentioned, the 64 comes stock with a dual-circuit brake system, which I would feel more comfortable with in the event of a brake line failure.  The 59 comes with the old-style single circuit job.  Just a tip.

Rob
66 SDV

Mike

Larry:  Ill be the lone wolf here and suggest the 59. Granted the 64 has some mechanical improvments and all, butunless its your daily driver, what will that matter? The 59 epitomizes the excesses of 50s styling and makes a statement even when its parked. Not to say the 64 convert isnt a great car, as it would be very welcome in my garage too. But if I had to pick one......

Dale Stephens

Very simple...
The 59 looks better and is more of an icon.
The 64 will drive much better and be more mechanically sound.
It all comes down to personal taste. Id like them both each for their own advantages, but at the end of the day, youve gotta chose that one that pulls at YOUR heart strings.
Good luck!