News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

72 FWB exhaust crossover pipe

Started by Greg McDonnell CLC #20841, October 11, 2005, 03:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg McDonnell CLC #20841

I need to replace the exhaust system on my 72 Fleetwood.  My local shop can supply all the parts needed EXCEPT the crossover pipe.  Can anyone suggest a source that may have one in stock, Id rather not have to wait for one to be fabricated if at all possible.  USA Parts MAY have one, but they are relocating their inventory and it sounds like it will be a couple of days before they know anything for sure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greg McDonnell

David #19063

Hey Greg,

Just have your shop put 2 1/2" (or 2 1/4") dual exhaust on it.  

It will run so much better and be better for the motors.  The stock Cadillac exhaust systems of the era chocked the 472s and 500s.

And this will probably be cheaper than finding/buying a Y-pipe and installing.

By the way, do not order a Y-pipe from Kanter.  They screwed me on a Y-pipe 10 years ago for my 65 NYR sent the wrong one twice, wouldnt stand behind their error.  Or even reimburse me for the cost the shop charged me to make the 2nd one work, they had to cut it and install a new section to fit the drivers manifold.

Seriously, go with the duals.  You wont be sorry!

And maybe some Flowmaster 40s...rumble, ruumble, rumble!

LOL!

David

Thomas Murray #6328

Try Classic Exhaust. They advertise in both Hemmings and in the Self Starter. I recently ordered a complete system (Y Pipe included) for my 71 Coupe DeVille and was pleased with the fit (very minor adjustments) and quality of the same.

Greg McDonnell CLC# 20841

Thanks David, I had not even considered that.

As a rule, I ususally like to put things back to factory specs, but I have dualed other cars and have been satisfied with the results.  

Has anyone else done what David suggests - and are you pleased with the results?  My biggest concern in making this change is how the car will sound when idling.  I can certainly see how this would help the engine breathe better, but I dont want to sacrifice the whisper quiet original factory sound.

Thanks, Greg

Mike #19861

These big engines certainly benefit from dual exhausts, particularly when cruising at better than 70mph. However, the frames are not set up to accept duals easily. A custom bend job is usually in order.

The frame and fuel tank is offsett to one side, permitting a large tank and the ability to have a resonator in the tail pipe. You will likely have to go without resonators, but you may be able to find a glass pack that will fit in there that will serve as a resonator. Without the resonator, you could get a slight booming at highway speeds.

Standard Walker Quiet Flow mufflers should keep the rest of it quiet. They are the stock 2 1/2" in and out.

If you go thei route, make sure you use a good quality aluminized steel or stainless. There is a good thread going on concerning this on the Technical board.

Mike

David #19063

Hmmm...I pay good money to get rid of that whisper quiet sound!  LOL!

Come on Greg, you need one rumbling car!  

Where you live and a little as you drive your cars, an aluminized sytem would last near forever.  

I had a dual aluminized exhaust with Flowmasters on my 69 LeSabre Custom 400 Sport coupe for 4 years in Houston and 4 years in Birmingham as a daily driver.  Never had a problem until I moved to Indiana and dealt with the salt and snow.

Really, I think you do not need to get stainless, aluminized will be much cheaper and be fine for your Brougham.

David

Greg McDonnell

Thanks Thomas for suggesting Classic Exhaust.  They can fabricate a new crossover pipe (I call it a Y pipe) but they want something like $180 to do it!  Not sure whether I will get them to fabricate it or just get the car dualed. Better performance is always nice but theres a lot to be said for originality too!  Im taking it to the exhaust shop on Saturday and will see what they have to say.  Greg