News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1984 Seville 4100 - Can engine be swapped?

Started by Stan, October 13, 2005, 06:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Hi all  -  I have an opportunity to get a 1984 Seville.  A great looker and seemingly solid with 82,000 original miles, but  after reading all the bad press about the engine, I am wondering how  easy it would be to drop a more robust  one into it?  Would the trans have to be changed too?   Any thoughts from those who know?   Thanks.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Stan,

I am not an expert on this subject, but a 4.5 or a 4.9 should bolt straight in.

Have a chat to Mike Jones, but he will probably come in on this when he gets out of bed.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV.

Eric Maypother CLC #15104

Hi,
If you get it just keep driving it with current engine as long as it last, who knows, it could last another 20 years, just have a back-up car in case it does blow up.
Eric :)

Mike #19861

Up now!

If the engine in the car is still strong, I would suggest leaving it as is. There is no engine that is an easy swap, and the transmission pretty much has to stay there, unless you want to get into some major fabrication.

Check the maintenance history of the engine. If it has been maintained properly as in regular oil and coolant changes and is using the recommended pellets, you should be fine.

The main problem with these engines stems from head gasket migration during normal heat cycles. This can cause the head gasket to allow coolant migration into the oil. Once it gets in there, and the oil is allowed to get contaminated, then the problems begin. Camshaft failures are the most predominant.  

There was a fix for this in the way of solid head dowels that prevented this from happening. These were included in the updated intake gasket kit, but may have already been incorporated into the engine by production time.

But for now, make sure the coolant is nice and green, and the oil clear. With regular maintenance the engine will last a long time. Just remember to never allow the engine to overheat. Many of these "time bomb" stories I have heard are from early engines or ones that have not been properly maintained from new.

There are other problems that can arise, namely intake manifold gasket failures, which dumps coolant into the oil, but this can usually be repaired with no ill long term effects. Distributor drive gear failures are also reasonably common, which requires camshaft replacement. Often this also is a result of coolant into the oil on a long term basis. I have also heard of sudden and catastrophic engine failures, ie throwing a rod, which is usuallu caused by a failed timing gear and the remanants of the nylon timig gear cloggong up the oil pump pick up, but this can happen, and has happened on most any other engine.  

These engines in good repair, are very smooth and quiet, in the best Cadillac tradition. They are not long on power, but give great fuel economy. That is important these days.

Mike

Stan

Thanks guys, this really helps.  T he oil and coolant both look good, and it runs smoothly.  Now I just got to get the price down a bit.  Thanks