News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

60 limo

Started by steve, October 15, 2005, 12:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

can trunk,hood,doors etc be used on standard 4door car.they dont appear to be any larger.i found this thing in the hills of ca.its been completely gutted inside.but every thing else is there except windshield. with 60000 miles and it fired up so i bought it for 500.00 panels are straight.let me know if i made a mistake. thanks steve

Barry Wheeler #2189

Steve, as I recall, the doors of the limo, at least on the rear have the cut-outs at the top, and wont fit a regular sedan. Ill try to remember to haul out the Master Parts book to see about the others ASAP unless someone else beats me to it.

Porter 21919

Good score Steve, Im no expert like Barry but I believe the Limos have the aircraft style doors from what pictures I have seen, just like the 63 Vette Coupes. The hood,fenders, trunklid and bumpers would most likely be the same.

Given the opportunity I would grab any series 75 Limo, nice ones can be had be cheap too, just too large for most people.

GM probably lost money on all of them in the 50s,60s & 70s so they quit building them, back in those days they could afford to build specialty cars at a loss. Cadillac was always about prestige and limousines, and the customer paid the price, whatever it was, the start of the  depression in 1929 took its toll but the Cadillac division turned a profit.

Amazingly back in those days they even had custom bodied cars, obviously the car was a major status symbol for the rich and we had the craftsmen to build them too.

Porter ( 66 & 67 CDVs )

Bill Hedge 14424

I have to admire your taste since I have a 59 Sedan DeVille and a 61 Series 75 limo with divider.  Does your car have a divider?  If you are looking for parts I know a junkyard where a 64 was located as recently as four or five months ago. If there is not a lot of rust,the car is probably a keeper, but it will not be an inexpensive restoration.

The Hollander Interchange Manual says:

1.  Hood  is the same for 59 and 60 and same for all models and series
2.  Fender  same
3.  Trunk lid same for 59 and 60 and same for all models and series.
4.  Doors  Not the same  (personal note - not even close)
    However the series 75 front door is the same 60 -65;  
    rear door is unique to that year.  As Barry Wheeler duly
    noted these doors are usually cut into the roof line and
    therefore are usually several inches taller than sedan
    doors thereby making it easier to enter and exit the
    vehicle.  You will also find that the rear doors have a
    light that illuminates the ground in the evening.
5.  Rear Quarter  Not the same as the rest of that year.
    (Series 75 is almost a foot longer)
6.  Glass  
    Windshield series 75 only same for years 59 to 62
    Front door glass series 75 only same for years 59 to 62
    Rear door glass series 75 only same for years 59 to 62
    Front vent series 75 only same for years 59 to 62
    Rear vent  series 75 only same for years 59 to 62
    Back glass series 75 only same for years 59 to 62

Porter 21919

Bill,

That was very nice of you to share your Hollander parts info.

Your 61 Limo with the divider window is rarer than rare.

Im a 66 guy, the 66 series 75 come up for sale here and there and never go for big $$$. The series 75s of any year seem to almost go begging for buyers.

Maybe someday I can grab one, a huge garage and a huge undertaking to own and restore a series 75 but to me it is the ultimate Fleetwood.

At least some of us appreciate and understand what the ultimate Cadillac is, like a Presidential limousine.

Having said that a 66 Brougham aint no slouch either, or a 66 60 Special, Eldorado , etc.

Any 57-60 Eldorado Brougham is the ultimate, rarest of the rare.

Makes you wonder whatever happened to GM and Cadillac, is it too little too late now ?  

Porter ( 66 & 67 CDV )

Bill Hedge

Porter:  

Generally I would agree with you concerning the price of the limos if you are talking of 80s or newer.  However, the limos seem to be doing surprisingly well as of late if they are pre 80s. I was surprised at the bid that a 62 Cadillac limo at the Hershey Kruse aucton broght last year ($20,000.00 +).  You will be hard pressed to get a 59, 60, or 61 limo in number 3 condition for less than $11,000.00.

Porter 21919

Bill,

We appreciate the value of the rare series 75 cars, the public doesnt.

They will pay much more money for a convertible that cost half the price of a new Cadillac limousine, what else is new.

As always supply and demand sets the market price. Let the public chase after their high $$$ muscle cars, the reasonable purchase price for a vintage Cadillac suits me just fine.

We realize the superior value of a vintage Cadillac and it makes our hobby more affordable, this is and never has been a business venture for any of us.

I have always owned Corvettes and Cadillacs, the Vettes were cool in my younger days, the Cadillacs are for when you age and mellow out and enjoy life in the slow lane, a smooth and cushy ride, but plenty of power when you need it.

Cadillac is the true flagship of GM and they know it, henceforth they have finally gotten their act together and the renaissance has begun.

Still waiting for the return of the big RWD sedan, burying FWD is like burying the carburetor, enough already.

The FWD Eldorado was cool but not an across the board platform, I had no complaints with my 90 & 93 ETC, great traction in the NJ winter snow, they drove nice on dry pavement too.

Porter

steve

bill yes it does have the devider and it appears tto be all there w/glass now what to do. thanks for all your answers to my ?

steve

bill yes it does have the devider and it appears tto be all there w/glass now what to do. thanks for all your answers to my ?

Porter 21919

Steve,

You rescued the car from the rust and the crusher.

Decide what you want to do with the car and put together a game plan and a budget.

I rescued a 67 CDV last year that was sitting outside for the last six years, it is slowly coming back to life, longterm project and for $ 2,000 Ill make a driver out of it, all my labor and paint and parts. Its a hobby, an adventure and a good refresher course on my long lost auto repair skills.

http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/

Porter