News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Does anyone make a performance cam for a 59 390

Started by Joe Meneghin #22407, October 15, 2005, 02:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Meneghin #22407

The shop called, my cam is slightly off spec.  Does anyone make a performace cam for the 390 engine?

Michael Stamps 19507

I dont know of any new off the shelf ones but Im sure with enough money you can have one ground.  I would call the major cam places like Comp and see what they can do for you.

Stampie

JIM CLC # 15000

10-16-05
Joe, the shop that you are usuing should be able to ship the cam out and have it rebuilt to standard specs. I had an engine bored out by NAPA and they were able to send off the cam for rebuilding. (most shops that grind crank shafts also do cams)
Good Luck, Jim
P.S. there is a shop in TN that will build you a cam,cant think of the name just now. (time to goggle)

Joe Meneghin

Kantner auto in Boonton NJ has the stock cam for $150.

I was hoping one of the major players had an off the shelf performance model, it looks like no one makes a performance replacement.  I was given a phone # by someone at performance automotive warehouse in CA for a place in TN that can custom grind anything.  Probabaly the same place you were thinking of.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Joe,

Isky used to do performance grinds years ago.   They might still have some old stock.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Joe Meneghin #22407

Thanks for the update.  I called them Isky, they can do a peroformance grind for me.  

My motor is a vo-tech school.  It should be done by Christmas.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Joe,

You forgot to mention which Christmas.

Bruce,
the Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Joe Meneghin #22407

Got me there Bruce, this christmas.    So Ill have a toatlly rebuilt motor in a car, whose body work wont be done for at least two years.  Well, at least I can open the garage door and run at idle a few times.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Joe,

Dont forget to run the cam in properly before starting that Idle sequence.

Very important for the lifters as well as the cam lobes.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV