News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cleaning my 1962 grille

Started by Archie Calise, October 25, 2005, 05:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Calise

Gentleman,

Ive tried to rub out the eggcrate aluminum grille of my 1962 with limited success.  Does anyone know the trick to getting the grillwork to brighten up?  Ive tried various metal polishes and nothing seems to bring it up.
Thanks,  Archie
acalise@cox.net

CLC# 17647

Michael Stamps 19507

How many spare hours are you willing to put in?  I used a toothbrush and tooth paste on my 70 grill.  I put about 20 hours total into it and it came out great.  I put the toothpaste on and brushed it.  Then once dry I used a rag to get it off.

Stampie

Archie Calise

Really,
I have all winter, so the hours are ok by me.  Toothpaste really, wow, never would have thought of that.  Any other tricks to it???
Thanks,
Arch

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Not really, and no need to floss.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

10-27-05
Archie, tooth-paste applied with a lot of elbow-grease.
Will also remove scratches from glass.
Good Luck, Jim

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

I took my grille apart, and used very fine steel wool soaked in CLR, available in most grocery or discount stores. This was 5 years ago, and I still get comments about how nice it looks. Granted, this is a 61 grille, but the concept still applies.

Archie Calise

Really,
Did you have to do anything to preserve it after using the CLR?
Arch

Jim Eccleston CLC 16079

Nope. I just reassembled it and put it back in. After each car wash, I use some tire shine on a soft rag, and buff it up, but thats all. Ill be happy to send you pics I took of the grille at a show Oct. 1st.

Dale jackson

When I was mechanic at amf bowling. I used to buy ac coil cleaner and clean the giant ac units on top building with it.

I sometimes used to clean brunswisk pinsetter parts on my machice. I took an giant frame made out cast aluim. I took the coil cleaner and sprayed it with ac coil cleaner and they become like brand  new when I was finished.

You need rubber gloves and have glasss over your eyes on when use it. It could blind you.

I would have grille removed from car and spray or let it soak in ac coil cleaner. Then rinse it off after its does job.

It whole lot easy compared toothbrushs, or junk you buy at the other stores.

It may have acid in it? It will make stuff look brand new again with very little work.

http://www.grainger.com/production/info/ww-granger.htm TARGET=_blank>http://www.grainger.com/production/info/ww-granger.htm

Thats list from supplier I used buy from. You may  buy could it an your locol hardware store or hvac ac store who sells to ac pro guys.

They have acid based and non acid based. I used to buy the the red or pink acid based to cleaned my parts at the bowling center.

Its best stuff i ever bought. I may buy few  to clean my 60 eldo grilles for my car.

It will clean the nictine in smoke, grease, etc from the surface and look brand new.

I know about 15 bucks an gallon but in end it save time where you dont have spend 50 years taking it apart or using an toothbrush.