News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1976 Fleetwood Brougham

Started by Bryan Thompson #21354, October 26, 2005, 08:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Thompson #21354

Hello all.
I am wondering the value of a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, Trible Black with an astroroof and less than 6,000 original miles. Loaded. Stored in a climate controlled garage.
How large is the "market" for a car like that?
Thanks

Johnny #662

Quote from: Bryan Thompson #21354Hello all.
I am wondering the value of a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, Trible Black with an astroroof and less than 6,000 original miles. Loaded. Stored in a climate controlled garage.
How large is the "market" for a car like that?
Thanks

Ah the old "what is it worth" dilemma!  Basically it is worth what the buyer is willing to sell it for, and what the buyer is willing to pay for it.  Of course individual cars have some "intrinsical" value and appeal.

The car you describe has some panache:

-Extremely low mileage
-Well taken care of
-Highest price model, except for the Series 75 Limos.
-Last of the "Big" Cadillacs, and the biggest of the biggest.

It is my opinion, that the market for that vintage isnt as large as one would think.  A quick guess would be somewhere in the $10-$15,000 range.

Barry M. Wheeler

It depends on whether you are buying to keep, or to re-sell. If the owner has kept it that long with that low mileage, it is improbable that you are going to "steal" it. They will have been told by inumerable service station attendants, neighbors, etc, that the old car buying public has unlimited amounts of cash, and that it is worth $XX,XXX dollars.
I had a similar car that I drove for several years. It was very, very dependable, and in fact, driving up one of the "old money" streets in Indianapolis last Sunday, saw a Firethorn painted 76 sedan in a driveway that the owner probably bought new, and is still driving as his regular car.
If you buy it to drive/show, and want to pay the premium price, go for it. If you are trying to re-sell it, finding the two guys to bid against one another that "have to have it" on eBay might be difficult.
Also, I would get an affidavit that the mileage is original. My 1979 Brougham has 149,000 miles on it, and looked like a car with 100,000 less when I purchased it, even before I had it re-painted.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Bryan,

It is the same old story.   When someone wants to buy a car, nobody wants to sell, and conversely, when someone wants to sell , nobody wants to buy.

But, as far as what is the "market" like, and what are they worth, well, to some, the big car is junk, and to others, diamonds.

As far as having it as a user, then the market would be low, and as a keeper, then still probably low.

Not much help am I?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Bob

Is this the car that replaced your 78 CC Biarritz or just another member of your Cadillac Family?

Bryan #21354

The Custum Biarritz Classic was adopted last year. I have been trying to convince my wife that the barn should not be empty on and off since then. She thinks Trible Black 76 Fleetwoods are "dead people" cars. I  think they are beautiful.
Bryan

Johnny #662

Quote from: Bryan #21354The Custum Biarritz Classic was adopted last year. I have been trying to convince my wife that the barn should not be empty on and off since then. She thinks Trible Black 76 Fleetwoods are "dead people" cars. I  think they are beautiful.
Bryan

Shes not entirely correct.  Its usually the black limos, that are preferred by undertakers, that are thought of as "dead people" or "cemetary" cars.  A big long black Cadillac was usually the car of choice of past "underworld" figures.

Richard Sills - CLC #936

In my opinion this is a desirable car, assuming its condition is consistent with the mileage.  (An important factor is whether it was well stored to minimize cosmetic and mechanical deterioration.)  

The 76 Cadillac is the last of its kind, and the unique features of the Fleetwood Brougham make it a sought after model.  The Astroroof was a costly option and adds to the cars desirability.  While color is a matter of opinion, I think that in terms of the market appeal for this type of car, the triple black color should be considered a "plus".  If this car is in the sort of time capsule condition that the mileage would suggest, and particularly if it has a documented history (such as original window sticker or bill of sale, or service receipts over the years that verify the mileage), I believe there are a number of hobbyists who would want this car.

Richard

Denise 20352

Without looking it up, I think the high retail on these is around $7-8k, but it may be worth more if it has unique options.  The problem is, as people say, that its worth whatever the buyer wants to pay.  With gas prices being what they are, people are dumping them.

I would probably give you $8k if I had the cash, but alas, I dont.  The funeral look wouldnt bother me a bit, as I have a Superior hearse already.  Mine is white, though, do you think it would clash?  ;)

-densie

Bryan

Sure wish I was rich.  She went for $15,000. I guess there is a market and its worth $15,000.
Thought youd like to know.
http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=2990 TARGET=_blank>http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=2990

Johnny #662

There is a saying in the car business  "Theres *******for every seat".  15k seems a little on the high side.

I would question why the engine compartment looks a little rough, with a car with such low miles!

Johnny #662

I have personally always had a special fondness for the 1976 Fleetwood Broughams, because I feel as though they are the "last" of what Cadillac used to stand for......size, comfort and luxury!  Those of us that grew up in the 50s, 60s and 70s came to know Cadillac as the Standard for luxury and comfort in an automobile.  I believe the 76s were the "last" year that Cadillac was able to produce what they wanted with a minimum of government regulations. I always found it interesting that the Eldorados, that were supposed be "personal" luxury cars, were in actuality larger then the the rest of the line after 1976.  Even the fleetwoods were the same size as the sedan devilles.  They were just gussied up a bit to reflect a higher level of luxury.

Sure there has been quite a few different "last ofs" throughout the years such as "last" convertible, coupe deville, eldorado etc. but IMO, the 1976 Fleetwoods were the last of what the entire "Cadillac" marquee stood for.

Denise 20352

And the last year of the Brougham, as far as Im concerned, regardless of what newer cars they put that label on.

-denise

Matt V16

That black Brougham with 6000 miles on it sold for $15,000? Ill tell you something, I thought it would go higher than that, if it really is still a new car.. There is a market for these cars, if the cars are clean and well kept.. I have a 76 Fleetwood Talisman with 8,000 original miles on it.. The car has every single option including moonroof, fuel injection and the super rare airbags.. Its white with a white top and has that light baby blue interior.. Would I sell that car for only $15,000? Not a chance.  Also, the two 75 and 76 Fleetwoods listed together on ebay so far, are still for sale. The reserve came close.. Most people only had space for just one car. (Gee, I wonder why?) If anyone is interested, you can have both cars for $7,000. I could use the space.. Thank you.

dale jackson

At those prices. My 250 doller junk car may worth  restoing with fresh frame pull , new front clip, door panels , repainted engine when front clip removed. Who knows but 15000 for car high.

Last monlth on ebay there was an 1976 sedan deville with 586 miles on cars that sold 19500 if rember. It was an brand new old car with 586 miles on clock. Never driven much before. It was not even an fleetwood. dale

Morgan Murphy, No. 17409

I agree, the 76 was an incredible car.  I remember driving one as a teenager and being able to spin the steering wheel at a dead stop!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Geez, I hope Denise doesnt read this.   But, she already knows how good the Variable Ratio Power Steering that General Motors used on their up-market vehicles.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Denise

If I cant steer it with my fingernail, I dont want it.

My 76 commercial chassis steers that easily, since I replaced the pump.  I cant figure out why they cant make all cars that way.

-denise

Mark Goodwin

For sale:

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham Delegance
Package 4 Door Sedan $2,500 selling not asking price.
Black exterior, Black padded top, and saddle or light beige velourinterior

LAST YEAR for the FULL SIZE CADILLACS
Cadillac’s TOP OF THE LINE ... Luxury sedan.
Considered a Personal Limousine with its Extra THICK Padded Top
500 Cu In. UNLEADED NON Fuel Injected ENGINE
FULLY LOADED with Every Option available in 1976 except sunroof

EXCELLENT INTERIOR
Drives well and all mechanicals work well â€" GREAT DAILY DRIVER It does have some rust in the usual places and could use a new coat of paint, due to crazy cracking on the hood and the trunk.

Average Retail Value: $3,250 according to the latest NADA. Used car guide.
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a goes late that so to well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".

UNDER 75,000 MILES - which is VERY LOW
ALWAYS GARAGED CLEAR TITLE
EASY to make a TRUE SHOW CAR ..........Its is ALREADY A TRUE CLASSIC
I have pictures that I can email to you, if you would like to see them.
Mark Goodwin
Kewanee, Illinois 61443 50 miles northwest of Peoria, Illinois
309-853-9000 answered 24 hours a day
email address:
mgoodwin@bwsys.net