News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Anyone ever use appraisers cross-country..?

Started by Jeff Gibson #22264, October 27, 2005, 02:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Gibson #22264

I am looking seriously at a car in Texas...I am in Kentucky...anyone ever had any experiences with an appraisor from cross country...many are listed in Hemmings..etc    but I have never used them...I do not have the time to get away and head to Texas.....advice..??     I wouldnt want to miss out on this car....if it is as advertised....   thanks.

W.Y. Lamb

Jeff:

I used to work part time for Buyers Services International who has inspectors (and in some cases appraisers) throughout the nation who will go on-site and inspect a car for perspective buyers.  This service is reasonably priced and the inspectors are usually persons who have experience in inspecting cars and offer an unbiased report on the findings.  These inspectors usually are either collectors, enthusiasts and some are in the professional realm as well.

From my experience with such a group, (BSI) they are easy to work with and give their inspectors full authority to report the facts as to their respective opinions and findings regarding a particular car.  Their inspection form, which is proprietary, is some 6-8 pages long as I recall and leaves nothing to chance and covers even the most seemingly unimportant mechanical and functional aspects relating to the car being inspected.  

Rather than an appraisal alone, often without nothing more than a SWAG, most inspectors meticulously go through a check list and note any deficiencies.  As in my case, being a previously licensed auctioneer and appraiser, as well as a collector, it was pure heaven and I really enjoyed my association with this group of professionals.  Not to mention, I got to see (and drive) a lot of NICE cars as well.

That being said, you may consider contacting such a service .... I can only speak of BSI from a first hand experience as they were the only company I represented while I was doing inspections for them in the Houston Metro area.

Best of luck in your endeavors and wish you good findings on the car you have in mind.

Later and happy motoring ....  

W.Y Will Lamb, (16955) - Past Director - Gulf Coast Region - Cadillac LaSalle Club

Jerry

Greetings,

I recently used the services of an appraiser in the Houston area to "look at" a car I was considering. I am not sure if it was the company with which the other CLC member was previously employeed. Anyways, they did the inspection and sent me a 4 page report. Needless to say their report was nothing like the car as described by the sellers representative (I had several telephone conversations with him prior to arranging for the inspection, since e-bay photos can be somewhat misleading).

The sellers rep refused to allow the appraiser to drive the car and demanded a copy of the report. He was not given the report.

Bottom line, based on the report, I did not buy the vehicle.

The inspection revealed among other things a broken motor mount and was well worth the money !!