News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bench Seat Help Needed, and news

Started by Chris Braun, November 01, 2005, 02:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Braun

Howdy yall,

Just finished one heck of a project.  Ripped out the carpets in my 60 sedan, and wanted to see what my floors looked like.  Theyve been getting wet for the better part of the last two years, as my window and door seals are practically gone.  I figured Id have to so some major floor pan replacement.  

Well, after ripping out the carpets, and insulation, and three days of working the floor with a wire brush attached to the drill, I found only one hole, bout the size of a pencil eraser.  Had a friend try to braise (sp?) it with some copper, but it shrunk the metal and caused a few other cracks.  We decided to clean it up as good as possible, and used an underwater (salt water approved) marine epoxy filler.  Stuff got hard as a rock in a few hours, and I couldnt hardly smooth it with my wire grinder.  Added a few thin coats of sandable primer, and it looked great.  I debated for some time over whether to seal it with a semi gloss black, like what little showed through the factory glue, or do something more interesting.  I decided on a brush on roll on truck bed liner coating.  Stuff wasnt cheap, but after buying one gallon, and using only half, I think Ill do the trunk next!!!  It looks great.  So good that Im debating whether to put in new insulation and carpets, or just leave it as is.  

Ok, heres the part I need help with.  When working, I decided to take out the rear seat, came out nice and easy.  Did more cleanup grinding, and decided eventually to take out he front bench.  The 6 way power bench.  Heavy son of a gun, but figured itd give me better access to the floor.  Was working perfect when I took it out, but not the case when I re-installed it.  Checked the lead wire, plenty hot. (ouch... dont ask), and then checked the ground.  It was a little loose, so I soderied it back in tighter, and cleaned up and tightened the bolt holding it down.  But it did the same thing.  The switch moves freely, and its like I can hear the motor trying to work, but it just clicks.  Not a repetitive click, but just when I move the switch.  

I stopped by a local electric repair place, they do starter motors, generators, alternators, and convertable top motors.  Figured they might have a good idea.  They just kinda shook there heads and said I should look for a new seat!!!  

Needless to say, Im here looking for a better solution.  

Im thinking some junk prolly got in when I was doing the cleanup, and maybe a good cleaning will do the trick???  Or should I really start looking for a new motor and tracks? or even a new seat?  Mines fairly good, but has a big rip on the drivers side, going all the way from the white vinyl, to where it meets the back.  But I figured on getting if fixed somewhere down the road cheap at an upholstery shop or something.  

Basically Im cheap, and broke, and looking for a quick fix.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Please send ideas to nineteensixtycaddy@hotmail.com

Densie 20352

Could something have gotten stuck in the track?  Piece of carpet or insulation, maybe?

-d

Chris Braun

I just saw another post about an 8 way power seat.  Said if you hear a clicking its prolly not the switch, so thats good to know.  But what if there is a clicking?  Im thinking my options are something stuck, or bad motor?  Any other ideas?

JIM CLC # 15000

11-01-05
Chris, I dont know anything about power seats. Did you by chance get something in the body-end cable connection when you were cleaning-up the area under the seat?
Good Luck, Jim

BOB D CLC16618

REGARDING YOUR POWER SEAT YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO REMOVE THE SEAT AGAIN. WHEN THE SEAT IS REMOVED YOU WILL FIND A SMALL MOTOR AND THE SEAT TRANSMISSON. FIRST THING TO DO IS CHECK THE SMALL MOTOR IT WILL SEPERATE FROM THE SEAT TRANSMISSION BE SURE THE MOTOR IS FREE, THEN APPLY 12 VOLTS AND MAKE SURE IT IS WORKING. IF THE MOTOR IS OK GO TO THE SEAT TRANSMISSION. YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE CABLES BUT THEY ARE COLOR CODED AND IT WILL BE OBVIOUS WHERE THEY GO.MOST PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSIONS ARE CAUSED BY OLD GREASE, CAREFULLY DISAMBLE THE TRANSIBBION, CLEAN THE OLD GREASE OUT, REGREASE (i like to use lubriplate grease)AND REASSBLE BEING SURE YOU ARE CAREFUL YOU DONT BIND ANYTHING IN THE PROCESS,REASSBLE THE MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION TO THE SEAT. BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE SEAT OUT OF THE CAR TRY THE SEAT BEFORE YOU PUT IT BACK IN THE CAR. I HAVE FOUND OLD GREASE IS USUALLY THE CAUSE OF SEATS AND WINDOWS NOT WORKING PROPERLY.

Denise

Seeing that this is a 6-way seat, does it work in any direction?  If it doesnt move any way but it clicks, this just about has to be a bad ground connection, or a loose connector plug.

-d

Frank DeCou CLC #12231

Since the wire gets hot it probably is not a bad ground or a loose connection, but a short or a jammed motor or transmission.