News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Stuck door lock, 1973 Eldorado

Started by Rikard Stenberg, November 02, 2005, 06:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikard Stenberg

Hello all!
I took out my 1973 Eldorado out of winter storage the other day to give it a bit of exercise and fill up the tank. But the driver’s side door luck was stuck; I can turn the key in the “locking direction” but not to unlock it. And from the inside I cannot move the door lock knob…

Is the inner door panel removable even though the door is closed?

Any hints on how to remedy this…?

Thanks in advance!
/Rikard

PS The electric central locking is not operational and has not been while I have owned the car…

JIM CLC # 15000h

11-02-05
Rikard, the answer is: NO, you can not remove the door panel with the door shut, (with out doing a lot of damage!) Now for the lock problem, try a little penertration oil in the lock cylinder (key hole) and try the key, it just may work.
Have you tried the inside door-handle? That usually open the door wheather locked or unlocked.
Good Luck, Jim

Rikard Stenberg

Actually, the oil thing I have not tried. I was thinking of that so I will go out and dab a squirt of oil in it. But it feels so 100percent stuck, the key I do not dare force but I tried to pull really hard on the door lock knob...

But I do not think I have tried the normal way of opening the door! That is a really good tip!! I will try it in a while - thanks!!!

/Rikard

Rikard stenberg

Well, I have been out to the garage now and the door cannot be opened from the inside either :-(

You can hear the mechanism working and it feels ok when pulling on the inside door handle.

I have given the lock cylinder a few dabs of 5-56, lets see by tomorrow what happens...

/Rikard

Joe G CLC 12138

I once had the same problem, caused by a door lock solenoid rusted in place. It can be unlocked by taking a stiff piece of wire (coathanger?) making a hook on the end, and sliding it between window glass and door panel on the Inside of car near the rear of door. There is a linkage rod that connects the solenoid to the manual door lock button. You have to snag this down near the key lock mechanism and pull up strongly.Keep trying the inside door handle as you are doing this so you know when the lock releases, as the button will not pop up. After the door is open, remove interior door panel to get to linkages/ mmechisms/ etc and repair. It helps to have a shop manual to look at door lock rods BEFORE fishing, so you know what youre looking for.    Good Luck.....and it CAN be done!!!

Rikard Stenberg

Splendid, I will look in my service & repair manuals and try this if the penetrating oil doesnt help.

Thanks!
/Rikard