News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

4.1 question

Started by mike greenhaus, November 08, 2005, 11:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike greenhaus

Which engine is better the 83 4.1 (rwd) or the 85 (fwd eldorado)
or they both garbage

Dick Heller

Same, with age, got a little bit better like a vintage bottle of vinegar.

wm link

Odds are with the later FWD engine as improvements were made along the way. That said I have seen several early 4.1s with 200k plus miles on them and still going. Overheating will kill em all fast. REMEMBER that the blocks are DIFFERENT on the transverse mounted FWD engines and therfore NOT interchangable.

Mike #19861

I would hazard to say the 85 is the better of the two, but that can only be a general guidline. These engines had to be maintained properly, and as Wm Link stated, there are many early engines out there that have given long and reliable service while later ones have failed. The differance is maintenance.

My 85 Eldorado suffered a thrown rod for reasons yet unknown, and the engine I am building to replace it with came from an 82 Fleetwood. The camshaft on that engine failed due to coolant intrusion into the oil. Something that proper maintenance could have prevented.

Mike