News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wire wheels for 66 Eldorado

Started by Greg McDonnell CLC #20841, November 12, 2005, 10:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg McDonnell CLC #20841

Ive seen aftermarket wire wheels advertised in Hemmings for vintage Cadillacs.  Has anyone on this forum purchased a set?  Had any problems?  What brand did you choose and why?  Were wire wheels even available from Cadillac in the 60s?

Thanks,

Greg

Barry Wheeler #2189

First, you have a historically important car. If you should decide to put TruSpoke, or any other wire wheel on your car, be prepared to hear snickers behind your back about them, no matter how cool they make the car look. There were no Cadillac authorized wires in 1966. So as to not place the onus of being incorrect all on you, I had similar day dreams while in the service back in the early 1960s of having a 1941 Cadillac convertible with 1953 wires on it. Same situation, cool looking wheels, not right for the car. I never did fufill my fantasy, but who is to say what is right for you. If you have a driver type car, and it is for your own enjoyment, put them on. (Many people have put the later 1970-1980s wire hubcaps on cars of your era.) But if you go to shows with your car, I probably wouldnt. Spend the extra grand or so the wheels will cost you on another car...Like Im probably going to do this afternoon. Another 1979 CDV has surfaced, and it appears too good to pass up for the money asked. If you have an old car, everyone will assume you want another one. And the next one might need wires!

Greg McDonnell CLC #20841

Im happy to hear I have an historically important car.  For years (Ive owned it since 95), Ive watched it langish in value as compared to the earlier finned Cadillacs. But there is something so elegantly simple about the 66 models and Im very happy I bought this car.  It is a low mileage car that was originally purchased by a corporation to be a CEOs toy in MN.  Ive taken great pains over the years to make sure I keep it original.  That is why I have never put the wires on it.  I just asked the question because every now and then I think it will look more sporty with the wires.  But good sense usually prevails and I leave the original wheelcovers on instead.  

Youre right, I can just spend the $1,000 or so the wires would cost on another car!  I have plenty more I want to own before I leave this earth!

Greg

Barry Wheeler #2189

Greg, the reason I put the spend $s on another car is that Im in a quandry myself... My local body man gave me a call and a friend of his has a nice 79 CDV, that I dont need, but I hate to see it lanquish. The owner is in NC to go to school, so it is going to sit, and sit, and sit. I went over yesterday with a battery and started it, and it only took a little starting fluid to turn over and catch. (Sat for two years, but has been inside all this time.) No brakes from sitting, the kid had taken the radio out...you can probably figure that out yourself...and the self-leveler and the A.I.R can are sitting on the floor in front of it. Evidently, he was making improvements. Very straight, no rust, will probably polish out as its white. Only wants $1500 for it, but I dont want to give even that, with all the $s I can see that it will need right away, as the climate control wouldnt run, either. Decisions, decisions.