News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

"39 lasalle distributor

Started by Jack Carroll #18687, November 19, 2005, 06:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Carroll #18687

Can someone help me? I need to locate the correct plug
wires in the correct sockets in the distributor cap.
I have the firing order and clockwise plug wire sequence
for the cap but I need a reference point.ie. which plug wire
goes in the cap just clockwise of the front distributor cap
hold down clip.

Thanks
Jack Carroll

Tom Beaver CLC 22002

I dont think it matters, as long as the firing order is correct.  Place No. 1 wire in the cap so that you get the neatest routing for the wires.  Having said that, the wiring diagram for my 38 shows No. 3 wire at the front left (drivers side) of the distributor cap and No. 6 wire at front right.

JIM CLC # 15000

11-19-05
Jack, I have a wireing diagram for a 38, and it shows that the first wire that is to the left of center of the cap (as viewed from the front of car) goes to number two cylinder (first one on left-side as viewed from the front of car). On ALL V type engines, the front cylinder is always number one and number two is on the opposite side of the engine. (passenger-side)GM engines, other makes MAY be difference.
The best way to determind which is number one cylinder is to remove all of the plugs and while someone operates the starter, stick a finger in the spark-plug hole and signal them to stop when you feel the pressure building-up. the timing-mark on the crank-shaft pulley and the pointer on the timing chain cover should match-up, close. then, remove the distriburator-cap and the rotor should be pointing to the number one hole in the cap.
My diagram does not show the cap-clips.
Good Luck, Jim

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Jack-  You told me you are using a 41-48 distributor, here is a picture from the 42 shop manual showing the wire location in the cap. Not a good picture but I think you can see the numbers

http://members.aol.com/inglerfly/Distjpg TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/inglerfly/Distjpg

Jack Carroll 318687

Thanks again Bill.
Your info agrees with a diagram in an issue of Towers auto
repair manual I have. However, the wires on mine are indexed
one hole counter-clockwise in runs ok. I moved the wires to
match the diagram and it wouldn,t start. Moved them back and
it started but runs a bit rough. Tueday Ill have some time
and Ill work on it some more and check when are where #1
cyl.is fireing. I suspect the distributor and the vac. advance
needs a complete rebuild, reintallation, and timed.

thanks again for your help

Jack Carroll

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Jack- When I bought my 41 60s I removed all the ignition wires because they were bad. I installed new wires following the shop manual as to location on the cap and the matching plug. Tried to start the car and I had a back fire that was probably heard miles down the road. It turned out that who ever installed the distributor tower shaft to the cam gear on a rebuild put it in 135 degrees from where it should have been installed. So no plug wires matched the picture in the shop manual.I followed the procedure that Jim talks about in his reply to you. By that method I found #1 cylinder and than worked around the cap to get the proper firing. Your distributor could have been installed 45 degrees from the proper point if you had to move your wires by one hole. Find #1 and work from there. You can do the same using #6 cylinder. I time my engines using #6 cylinder as it is a lot easier attaching my timing light wires to the battery, distributor and plug from #6 cyl than from #1 cyl.

John Washburn

Guys,

Whomever installed the distributor, did it one tooth off, dont change the wires fix the distributor.

Also, you can run a V-8 180 degree out of time by changing the wires, but not 135 degrees, unless you muck with the timing as listed above, and then change the wiring out of sync.

Fix it so it is correct or else the timing will not be correct and other problems will occur, especially once you pass the car on.

Ive recently worked on two cars where the mechanic, instead of instaling the distributor correctly (it was 180 degrees out of sync) just changed the wiring. This worked ok till someone changed the wires and cap and did not check. Correct is best.

drop me a note if you want more info.

John Washburn
CLC #1067