News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Top Motor/Pump

Started by Scott Howard #22304, November 20, 2005, 02:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Howard #22304

I am in the process of replacing the top motor/pump on my 62 deville.  I have successfully cleaned the lines of all the old nasty brake fluid.  However the cylinders are giving my a rather tough time.  Everytime I think they are cleared out more grainy browngrayish brake fluid junk comes out.  Is there an easier way to make sure they are cleared out?  I DO NOT want to mix ANY of this junk with the new dexron fluid.  Thanks. Scott #22304

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Scott,

I dont think that there is any easier way of cleaning out the rams, short of physically disassembling, cleaning and reassembly.

But, this involves a machine shop and welding.   It can be done, and might be the best option.   At least you will know that the contamination is no more, and you can replace the seals if required.

I am sure that is the way that the reconditioners do it.   And you can re-hone the cylinders for a perfect reconditioning job as well.  

Faster, and simpler than all the pushing and pulling of the ram and saves a lot of wasted fluid as well.   But, you wont have built up much muscle-strength as the "push-pull" method.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV