News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Cadillac Front bumper Recrome cost ???????

Started by dale jackson, November 20, 2005, 05:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dale jackson

I need to have my front bumper recromed to my 1960 cadillac. Its 7 peices totol and one  guy on ebay there is guy selling the 7 parts to build an complete front recromed bumper.

His bidding has started at 650 for his 7 separate auctions for all the parts.

I have an complete bumper already but it needes recromed. I dont know it was cheaper to buy his bumper parts or have my bumper recromed at an recrome shop.

Is it cheaper buy his stuff or I pay an crome shop to do my bumper. I have heard is cost maybe 2000 to recrome an bumper in boston mass area from caddy bob. He said it cost maybe 600 bucks 20 years ago. I live in south texas and dont know what it cost have an bumper recomed in south texas. Bob was saying an lot recrome shops shut down and very few are still around for some reason.

If can save money from buying his stuff or waiting and having my done at an recrome shop. I am trying shop around and get best deal on it.  Thanks dale jackson

Yann Saunders, 12588

Dale, I had the front and rear bumpers of my 42 Fleetwood done 3-4 years ago by an outfit in Georgia through the company Auto Glass of Columbia, SC. Cost was under $300 each.  Of course, 42 bumpers weigh far LESS than those on a 60 model.

I have no idea if they are still currently in business nor if they take in outside work (i.e. outside of Columbia)

dale jackson

Ebay auction ended for those 6 parts to build an 1960 rechrome bumper.

1. Front lefht bumper top sold   201.11
  2. Front right Bumper top sold   201.11
  3. Front plate houseing   sold   74.95
  4. Front upper top bar    sold   203.47
  5. Lower right bumper side sold  127.45
  6. Lower lefht bumper side sold  127.50
  7.                 Grand totol    935.59 with ups shiping not priced yet

I did not buy it but did I lose an good deal on this rechromed bumper parts. Reason I did Not bid on it was He did not take paypal . All my money from past cadillac part sales is in my paypal account. Thats how I get stuff for my 1960 eldo or pay for restore work. I sale my 59 thru 64 cadillac parts on ebayy and use the money from cadillac part sales to buy stuff for my 1960 eldo. Its amazing On what ebay Has sold for me and let me buy for my 1960 eldo. Last year I sold maybe 4000 worth parts and spent 4000 on my 1960 eldo from my cadillac part sales.  

I wish that guy took paypal who was selling his bumper parts and could have maybe got my bumper rebuilt for car and sold my lefht over bumper parts on ebay to fund the next restore project on my 1960 eldo. If just what shop charge for rechrome parts? thanks dale

Tod - North TX CLC

Dale -

If I recall correctly, you had several contacts in Mexico for body-work, etc.  Some of the Southern U.S. chrome contractors send their work to Mexico to be done.  If you still have contacts in Mexico, it might be worth your time to check and see if they know of some chrome shops that could do your work.  You might find it to much less expensive, and I understand that the shops will restore to your specifications (i.e. show chrome vs. driver chrome).

Just a thought.  If you find out, let us know.

Ray Seigle

Ive bought chrome pieces off ebay...its INCREDIBLY hard, no matter how honest the vendor, to really see the quality of the chrome via pictures....Ive had about 20percent satisfaction with chrome bought from ebay.  The vendors were honest...just its hard to judge from  pictures how good it is....

Tod - North TX CLC

I agree about buying chrome parts unseen.  I have seen several pieces on E-bay that I would consider, but then I think about the difference in chrome - it can vary from almost golden yellow to purplish blue.  If you are getting individual pieces, you could easily end up with a bumper that is 4 different (and detectable) colors.

dale jackson

Wow, I never knew that recrome work would vary that much in car parts. I saw some junk crome the started to peal of the metal and rust out etc. I Guess it varys from shop to shop.

dale

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Yes Dale,

Every Chrome shop will plate parts a different way, and the colour will alwas come out different.

When chroming a bumper bar that is made up from different parts, as in most Cadillac bars, ALWAYS get the parts plated at the same time at the same place.   This way, you have the best chance of all pieces ending up matching.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

John CLC#22631

Go to http://www.tricityplating.com TARGET=_blank>www.tricityplating.com for all your needs. Beautiful work.

JIM CLC # 15000

12-02-05
Dale, Try Oregon Plating, Portland, OR  Their phone number is: 505-232-7416 and their FAX number is 503 232 3543.
Their address is: Oregon Plating
                  436 Southeast 6th Avenue
                  Portland, OR 97214
Dale, If you call, have ALL of the measurements of the pieces you want done and the total number of pieces. Be sure to tell them you want show-qualty replating.
Ive had several pieces re-chromed there and all of their work was #1!
Good Luck, Jim