News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

original lifters vs aftermarket lifters

Started by john rutenberg, November 21, 2005, 11:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john rutenberg

Does anyone know factually if there really is a difference in factory GM vs x- brand lifters? I need to replace a couple but since IM going in I might as well replace all of them. Now I can get x-brand right now for 3.99 each. If I wait a week or so I can get factory GM orginals at a discounted price of 9.00 each. What is a professionals opinon on this matter. John

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday John,

Well, the OEM lifters might be the best option, as I have recently heard some disasterous stories on aftermarket lifters.

A friend purchased a set of brand name lifters, and instead of them coming in a box with separators to protect each one from damage, they came, loose in a plastic bag.

He fitted them to the engine, a 390 Ford FE and a couple were noisy.

Replacements were the same problem, and he was advised that the lifters were buit in China, and that most of the replacement ones are the same.

As you might not be aware, the replacement of lifters in an FE engine arent as simple as in, say, a Cadillac, or a Chev.

The Mechanic is usually the one that has to cover the cost of his labour in rectifying a problem, as the supplier sure wont.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike #19861

Id side with Bruce here. If you have the financial wherewithall, and the time, go with the GMs. Its not worth using an unknown aftermarket brand.

But, there are many good brands out there like Clevite, Federal Mogula and so on that have an excellent reputation for quality. Good advice would be to check in with a reputable machine shop in your area and see what brand of engine parts they use. They have to warranty their work, and using cheap parts only helps the bottom line going out the door. Warranty repairs can be very costly to them.

Mike

Ed Mobley

I cant comment on lifters, but there was a BIG difference between OEM and aftermarket rocker arms on my 60 Caddy Engine.  The aftermarket rocker arms were not anywhere close to the proper dimensions.

Regards,

Ed

john rutenberg

Thank you for all your guys help. I decided to go with the Clevite lifters. They look identical and come with a 3 year 36k mile warranty. They are a well respected company. IM sure they will do the trick. If not IM gonnaa have to remove them are redo the whole thing over again.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

John,

When the Clevites come, check the really fine pring on the box to see where they are actually made.

Plus, after installing them, make sure that you run the cam and lifters in again, or they could fail.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike #19861

Clevite is a good name, and about the best in the aftermarket. I also have reason to believe they are an OEM supplier as well.

I am planing on using Clevite components in my HT4500 build. GMs prices are just too prohibitive.

Mike