News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1949 Coupe de Ville

Started by David Temple, November 22, 2005, 03:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Temple

When was the introduction date of the 1949 Coupe de Ville? Was the introduction of this model at the same time as that of the Buick Riviera and Olds 98 hardtops? David Temple

Barry Wheeler #2189

Pardon my sarcasm, but can you see ANY of the General Managers of Olds, Buick, or Cadillac letting a competing (and believe me they were competing...) division get a march on what turned out to be the hottest item in years? What is really weird is that for years, car makers hyped the convertible as sporty, etc, etc, and then they put a hard top on a convertible and charged you more for it. It shows to go you, that the American car buying public is just plain, "ga-ga" when it comes to their personal transportation. They can be sold ANYTHING with the right spin on it! Well, maybe not Yugos or Cimmarons...

Ford came up short for two, long, long years till 1951 without a true hardtop. Remember those lime-green and black 1950 Tudor Fords with the special trim on the sides? The Burgandy/black wasnt too bad, and wasnt there a two-tone tan/brown one as well?

My reference book is upstairs, but I believe the introduction was in the spring. And yes, I think you could state that the three models all hit the curb at the same time. Oh, to have had a car like that to sell for full bore price when I was in the business!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Barry,

Does that mean that you are a Wheeler by name, and a Dealer by nature?

And, so is that where the term "Wheeler Dealer" comes from.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike #19861

I to looked about in my referance material for a release date, but could not find anything more specific than spring.

But, I did find that the CDV sold for $26 less than the the convertible. This because they were trimmed like the convertible.

But, anything new and exciting can demand a premuim on price. Anticipation and desire make people temporarily lose logic. Witness yesterdays release of the X-box 360.

Mike

Art#22010

Hey, hey, ILL buy that Yugo. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. ARt

Doug Houston

My recollection is that the Buick Riviera hit first. I was touted as a car for "aging sportsmen" among other targets. It was inevetable that Cadillac would follow, and it did. Olds was the last of the three with the "C" body hardtop coupe. In 1950, the "B" body hardtop coupe was launched. It was also 1950 that the Chevy Bel Air came out, so what Ive just called a "B" body might have been an "A" body. Someone out there must have a better answer.

Mike #19861

Yes, the Coupe deVille, Roadmaster Riviera and Ninety Eight Holiday were indeed "C" bodies. And it would make sense that the Riviera was first, as the legend goes, that it was Buick that developed the Hardtop.

The Senior Pontiacs, Junior Olds and Buicks were "B" bodies wheras the small Pontiacs and the Chevrolets were "A" bodies. This changed in 1959 with the consolidation of all the standard passenger cars when all the Pontiacs and Chevrolets became "B" bodies.

The "A" body would re-emerge in 1964 with the new Chevelle, redesigned Tempest, Special and F-88. The "A" body died a slow death in the early 90s when the Ciera and Century were discontinued.

Mike

Don Boshara #594

From 1949 thru 1958 all Chevys & Pontiacs had A bodies. The Pontiac Star Chief from 1954 thru 58 had an A body with and extended rear deck. The 49 & 50 Olds 76 & 88 also had an A body. In 51 Olds 88 & Buick Special got a new B body. Buick didnt have an A body after 1942. I was a Pontiac salesman during those years.

David Temple

Thanks to all who replied to my question. -- David