News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

79 Eldo miss situation

Started by john rutenberg, November 22, 2005, 10:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john rutenberg

Ok, I recieved my all orginal 19,800 mile triple Yellow Eldorado Biarritz yesterday and the car has sat for so long that it has a miss. I found out that one of the lifters is bad. So bad that I thought I might have a burn valve. I did to a compression test and they all came out at 150. So, the motor is good!!! I decided to buy Clevites brand instead of GM ones and Im doing the project myself. I have talken the car completely apart today and have cleaned out all the crap that has setteled in the top part of the engine. Now, should I go ahead and put new O rings on the injectors while I have them off the intake? Since I repainting the intake, Also, can I soak the injectors in some type of solution to clean then out? Or will it damage them? Please let me know. John

wm link

Yes, Yes, Yes on the injector O rings! With the low miles that the car is reported to have...and the compression reported...I would have driven the car with marvel mystery oil added to a fresh oil change to see if the lifter would free up. My guess is that it would have. There are shops that clean injectors and spray test them, so you KNOW they are good...cost is about $15 each. I know there are several shops here in Phoenix that provide the service. You might want to call around.

john rutenberg

Thanks, Ill ask my guy at the carb shop in the morning for the o rings and also Ill ask him about the cleaning the injectors. Ps I am going to put a can of Marvel Mystery oil in the the oil this next go around and run it for a few months and then change the oil and put in Full synthetic.

David #19063

John,

Your next oil change you may want to add the GM EOS to the oil.

David

Mike #19861

Forget the Marvel Mystery Oil (with all due respect here)Pour in a can of EOS before you fire the engine. Pour it directly in the lifter valley over the lifters before you put the intake back on, and wipe the lifters down with EOS before you install them.

And, it is always a good rule of thumb to replace any seals that are remved. particularly injector O rings. A fuel leak could prove disastrous.

Having the injectors flow checked while they are out is also a good idea. You will know right away if any are bad. Sometimes they can be cleaned, but that is usually only a temporary fix. Replacement is the only permanant fix.

Mike

john rutenberg

wm link

Its Gm$ $eal of approval on a product to compete with Marvel and others.

David #19063

John,

Most GM Dealer will carry it.  About $7/pint.

Ingnore the fact it says no to use as an oil suppliment and only as an Engine Assembly Lubricant.

This was the only thing that freed up and quited my lifters on my 85 Toronado Caliente w/Olds 307-4.

David

Mike #19861

EOS has no comparable product in the aftermarket. EOS is a base stock of 30W oil with a very concentrated additive package, primarily of which is ZDF, a wear reducing agent and one that can repair minor galling of components. It can be  very good in the aid of camshaft and lifter breakin.

It is highly recommended as an assembly lube for this reason. Occasionally adding it at oil change time is good practice, particularly if the oil has not been changed in a long time or any contamination of the oil has occured.

The other additives on the market are all of suspicios quality and benefit. Most will do no harm, but many do no good. A way to get the money out of your pocket.

I have found in the past that EOS is about the only additive that can actually quiet noisy lifters. I speak from experience on this one.

Mike

john rutenberg

Thank you ~!!!!!!!! I will get some tomorrow.!!!!!!!