News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

emission problems

Started by wilson, November 26, 2005, 06:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson

I need some help! I have a 84 Eldo Birz with 145,000 miles. I failed the emission test and I need to know what I will need to do to pass the darn test. I got a high reading in the NOS and CO.  I plan to give the Eldo a tune up and replace some parts (spark plugs/wire, Disp Cap/rotor, igniter, egr valve)and maybe the Cat converter. Any and ALL help welcomed.

wm link

Those cars seem to have an issue with NOX, This is produced by too high of a combustion temp. Make sure the EGR is working properly. You could try and not have the car as warmed-up if possible...although that could send you over in hydocarbons. A new  Catalytic convertor has solved this issue for me in the past.

Mike Jones

Ill second Wm on the NOX. This is almost always caused by a defective EGR system.

The high CO is most likely a result of a tired catalytic convertor. Replace that and it should look after it. Bad convertors are common on these crs. They plug up and malfunction.

Mike

Wilson

Thanks, Ill loke into a new Cat Converter and the EGR valve. I hope it will work.

Mike #19861

Simply replacing the EGR valve may not repair the problem. There are other components in the system that may fail, giving the same result.

There are a couple of simple checks you can do. With the engine running and at operating temperature, slowly increase engine RPM. Place your fingers under the EGR valve. If the system is operating, then you should feel the diaphragm under the valve lift. If not, it could be a defective valve, transducer, plugged or split vacuum line or elecrical problem.

Then, with the engine at idle, lift the diaphragm by hand. It should stall the engine. If there is only a slight stumble, or no change, then the port crossover port, port from the valve to the intake plenum, or the EGR tubes in the manifold are plugged.

Mike

Aaron

My 79 Coupe deVille recently failed smog testing after I brought it with me from Florida to California. It had high nox emissions (over 3000 ppm). First, the EGR valve was replaced, the passages cleaned, and catalytic converter replaced. The car still had around 2000 ppm nox which isnt acceptable here, so the idle mixture screws were uncapped and richened. Now the car is around 500 ppm nox and 0.0percent on CO. I am unfamiliar with the fuel injection system in your car, but if you do the EGR and cat and still have high NOX, your car is probably running lean. Our cars are different, but hopefully something from my experience will help you.